• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WxBob
    Newest Member
    WxBob

2/19-20 Winter Storm Observations

8 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Yea it was a 2 or 3 hour bang then a lotta nothing.  2nd half really underwhelming.

Maybe you crushed it with the January storm, but it hasn't exactly been a winter filled with great events. Getting crushed with snow for a couple hours certainly should rate highly in this crappy winter.

Just now, osfan24 said:

Maybe you crushed it with the January storm, but it hasn't exactly been a winter filled with great events. Getting crushed with snow for a couple hours certainly should rate highly in this crappy winter.

Naw bro, missed out in Baltimore County on that one.

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

Naw bro, missed out in Baltimore County on that one.

Ahhh, well all the more reason to rate this one highly! It should have been your best event of the winter then!

30 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Meh...least exciting snow event of the year...maybe I'm just tired. 5.3" total...above climo now....not hating that

That's still more than anything I've seen all season. 

36 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I had a personal forecast of 2-4 inches for Balt. City....and sure enough we got exactly 4"! Lol Of course there's a good dose of "what could have been"-itis here...but still not a bad event!

we all want another 96/16, but these types of storms are the reality.  what's nice is that the concern of a gully washer rain has held off for now, so the first part of this was a legit snowstorm.  those other great storms generally had a nice h5 pass.  this was essentially an overrunning event due to a screaming jet and near perfectly timed cold high to the north.

The thunder snow this morning ranks this one up there with the best < 6" events I have experienced.  It wasn't the muffled thunder you sometimes get in winter.  It was legit.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Huh, some flakes mixing in back in CHO.

Mixed sleet/snow, additional .25” of sleet makes my total 3.35”

Congrats.  Sorry the ZR didn’t work out.  Actually was looking forward to that.  

5 minutes ago, 87storms said:

we all want another 96/16, but these types of storms are the reality.  what's nice is that the concern of a gully washer rain has held off for now, so the first part of this was a legit snowstorm.  those other great storms generally had a nice h5 pass.  this was essentially an overrunning event due to a screaming jet and near perfectly timed cold high to the north.

(Suprised ya didn't mention 2009/10, 2003, etc, haha) Wouldn't say storms like this one are THE reality, but rather what's more common. A big storm can become the reality anytime of year...but the likelihood? Very inconsistent, lol

3 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Congrats.  Sorry the ZR didn’t work out.  Actually was looking forward to that.  

Yeah, this is the last time I believe in ZR down here. Busted on that front more than a few times this year. 

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Yeah, this is the last time I believe in ZR down here. Busted on that front more than a few times this year. 

It can happen, today wasn't really a great setup though for it IMO.  Temps in the mid 20's or lower, light precip, and low sun angle is the winning recipe.  

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

I looked at my trees and they have icicles.  Interesting.  Let’s face it most of our events are mixed bag mess.  I just want one more to hunt track and kill before I spread mulch. 

Clarksburg, MD total snow and 35 minutes of sleet: 5.6"                  From 10:00 am to 12:00 noon Clarksburg rocked.  see the video below:

• Like 6

Meh...least exciting snow event of the year...maybe I'm just tired. 5.3" total...above climo now....not hating that
My forecast for leesburg was 5. My hope become a reality
  • Like 2

When you consider we didn't even get the main storm but rather the WAA out ahead of it, I can't complain about approx 5" while the main storm went to the Lakes.  We can thank the strong HP (strategically positioned) to the north for that.  This was an energetic, spring-like system, with plenty of GulfMex juice.

While I noticed temps rose toward the end of the snow, the temp has remained quite steady around 30.6 for the past few hours.  Just a bit of sleet IMBY as the snow slowly fizzled.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Nice event.  Not memorable, but nice.

Probably the only 570dm snowstorm you'll ever see.

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Cool event, best rates of the season.

Too bad it'll be like 60 tomorrow.

More like 50, but most of it will still be gone.

The high is shoving things due east to ese. Lower pressure isobars are stacked along the mountains but not making much progress and until and unless that high eases to about 30.10 then we won’t see anything other than very light. 

-FZDZSN

If you told me yesterday I wouldn’t see a single pinger all day I would have said you’re crazy.

Looking at the radar, I would think in 2-3hr central MD will be greeting either rain or freezing rain. Currently very light zr