• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    havaeat_tr
    Newest Member
    havaeat_tr

2/19-20 Winter Storm Observations

mPing report of flooding 10 miles to my south... has just been dumping rain. Would've made a helluva thump or a closer, if things had been a little colder.

This banding is totally atmospheric memory for the next storm... or something

• Thanks 1

Surprised to go outside just now to discover, even in Downtwon D.C., there is still some ice building up on trees and elevated metal surfaces

I'm stunned there is no FFW. It's raining almost harder than it has been the whole time I've been in Charlottesville, and with the snow there is the addition of runoff issues.

32 and raining cats and dogs. 50+ dbz returns to my W and S.

Flirting with 32 here - 31.5 now. Pavement that was cleared, salted, etc is just fine but the areas that were not touched by plows on the neighborhood streets are starting to ice up real good. Just played musical cars to get my car ready to leave first for work tomorrow and my wife's small SUV basically sat on top of the sheet of ice covered snow when I moved it to the street.

4 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Huh, some flakes mixing in back in CHO.

Mixed sleet/snow, additional .25” of sleet makes my total 3.35”

Glad to see ya finally get some love out there. Enjoy!

• Like 1

All the big counties around Baltimore are delayed except for AA county.  Hoping the city runs out a delay too.

3 minutes ago, DSF said:

All the big counties around Baltimore are delayed except for AA county.  Hoping the city runs out a delay too.

Hello parents and employees, this is Anne Arundel County Public Schools emailing to let you know that at this time, all schools and offices will open on time tomorrow, February 21. AACPS crews will work into the night this evening and will be at schools early tomorrow morning to continue to clear lots and drives. AACPS will continue to monitor conditions overnight and tomorrow morning, and any adjustments will be announced through normal channels. 

Thanks, and have a good evening. 

Really glazing up now.  Even sidewalks are starting to get glazed over . Probably .10 - 15" already. Temp has been bouncing from 29 to 30 for past couple hours  . 

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Tree branches are a little icy, FWIW.

Mostly a flood though.

Think I saw some lightning flashes show up on radar west of CHO....wild day

ETA: trees are really getting icy in my part of Stafford, power and flickered a few times and some close by areas have lost power

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

Any power flickers yet? We're way overdue for that report to come in

Not here but we're sensitive to it and with the ZR headed our way accretion is going to hit the 1/3" range on trees.  Last time we had that category of ice would have been 2014.  We got clobbered with that storm and a lot of folks along the MD/PA line were without power for a week or more.  BGE is our supplier and they are decent with maintaining 10' clearance on overheads but with the mix of pines and oaks up here a Y split down the middle bringing half a tree across overheads is game over. 

EDIT:  Winds are very slight so still a lot of snow on the spruce trees.

When the wind starts to kick up with ice covering the forest it's one of the neatest sounds of nature hearing that crackling noise.  Of course it can be dangerous too if you're too close and a big piece comes down on you!

Such as this!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, usedtobe said:

If you want icing, hope the precip stays on the light side, otherwise the freezing on contact will reolease too much latent heat to get you the icing you crave,

+1.  When it is raining moderately, my temp raises to 32F.  When it is light or stops, it immediately drops to 31F.

22 minutes ago, Round Hill WX said:

Steady, accumulation freezing rain in Round Hill. Temp just hit 31. 

6.25” snow/sleet total today. Brings me to an even 30” for the season. 

Right down the street and at 24.5 inches for the year.. Also lower elevation 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, das said:

+1.  When it is raining moderately, my temp raises to 32F.  When it is light or stops, it immediately drops to 31F.

Same principle applied to citrus growers in FL when they spray water on their produce during freezing threats.  The water helps protect the citrus from freezing.  Very counterintuitive.  

Any power flickers yet? We're way overdue for that report to come in
We might get 3 hecs in a season before we get one real ice storm

The modeling on this event was pretty good for the 12z-18z phase, but most models missed the dry slot and also over did the QPF bigtime.  Overall if you had taken a blend of the snowfall amounts from the euro/nam/gfs you would’ve ended up with a good forecast.