Total Members
    Most Online
    diviningweather
    Newest Member
    diviningweather
nj2va

2/19-20 Winter Storm Observations

1 minute ago, lpaschall said:

Also light drizzle/zrain in Westminster 28 Winds E 3 MPH. Its only freezing on elevated surfaces, cleared driveway is mostly wet.

Same here but I expect after dark if it remains below freezing the sidewalks may get icy. I'm thinking roads will be ok. 

Looks like a light ZR / mist now in Reisterstown.  Hope we turn into an ice palace.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If you want icing, hope the precip stays on the light side, otherwise the freezing on contact will reolease too much latent heat to get you the icing you crave,

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Getting a little freezing drizzle in Gaithersburg.  A few small icicles on leaves and street signs but nothing major.  There's actually running water on the edge of the streets where it's melting on the roadways.   

5 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

If you want icing, hope the precip stays on the light side, otherwise the freezing on contact will reolease too much latent heat to get you the icing you crave,

Yup...you want about 0.05" to maybe 0.1" per hour rates otherwise it's just cold rain.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

-FZDZSN

If you told me yesterday I wouldn’t see a single pinger all day I would have said you’re crazy.

Maybe the GFS was the best model for this one after all.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Buildthewall said:

Hrrr is trending colder. It really looks like significant Ice later west of the 95 corridor.

90% of the total qpf is ice 

hrrr_apcpn_neus_10.png

hrrr_ref_frzn_neus_5.png

I don't buy it.

Shows icing here in nothern Delaware and I can tell you we are already at or above freezing. The rain is dripping off my car.

Maybe far far north western areas, but even there, the cold is going bye bye.

• Like 1

Looks like we are out of the woods here in terms of ice. Drizzling outside and 32 degrees. Went outside and everything is melting and no ice on the paved surfaces. Whether we get any tree ice accumulation remains to be seen.

Went out and scraped off the car in the FRZ.  Even with the expected temperature rise overnight it may be a good idea to do so if you haven't already, since at least where I am (near KDCA) it's pretty heavy.

21 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

I don't buy it.

Shows icing here in nothern Delaware and I can tell you we are already at or above freezing. The rain is dripping off my car.

Maybe far far north western areas, but even there, the cold is going bye bye.

Yup. Not happening near 95.  I do have tree ice.  

CLI report says DCA recorded 2.6" today.  At 16.6" for the season now, there are only 6 winters in the past 31 years with more snowfall than this year at the airport.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Yup. Not happening near 95.  I do have tree ice.  

Ice is building on trees and shrubs down this way (NW of FXBG) not so much on roads/sidewalks. Temp has actually fallen back to 30.8 on weather station. Was up at 32.0

• Like 1

When I shoveled at 3pm the slush on the bottom came  up easy. Now it’s icy on the bottom and that not the ground radiating out.  31.8 here. 

3 minutes ago, wawarriors4 said:

Ice is building on trees and shrubs down this way (NW of FXBG) not so much on roads/sidewalks. Temp has actually fallen back to 30.8 on weather station. Was up at 32.0

I think Ian just retweeted your twitter post. ;)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

I measured a total of 0.76" of liquid from the 5.7" of snow that fell this a.m.  That's a ratio of 7.5:1

This was a WET system! I had 0.78 of liquid at 7 am on 4.1 of snow. An insane 5.3 to 1. Course it snowed here for about an hour before it started sticking, so that skewed the numbers a bit. Today I picked up .5 of sleet and I changed gauges when the rain started....0.20 liquid, that is 2.5 to 1. Crazy!

• Like 1