Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2/19-20 Winter Storm Observations

nj2va

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Looks like it. Seems the dryslot blasted in way ahead of schedule. What you end up with?  

Ha, yeah who knew the problem was going to be a dryslot and not temps aloft. Seems like we underperformed in the qpf department. Kinda disappointing finish, but it was really fun for a couple of hours this morning. Best two hours of winter I've had this year.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I'm happy the snow performed here but I'm kinda sad the sleet didn't 

I actually agree with you. I was looking forward to a 3 or 4 hour sleet bomb. I dry slotted shortly after the sleet started. I cant complain I got almost 7 inches of snow out of this. Really fun storm to track and watch fall.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Negnao said:

Closest report to dca I could find on the nws website was ballston and the 2.6 report was from 1030am. 

I'm pretty sure my result (2 miles west of DCA) was about 2.5 inches before the s**** and f***** **** knocked down the totals on the hedges.

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Hrrr has rounds of freezing rain returning later . 28 currently.  Very few pingers here before the dryyyy slotttt .  

Got 4.8" total between 8:30 - 12:20. Great rates once it started. Missed lasts hours measurement but I'll go with the 4.8. Fun storm and it's far from over here with hours of ice coming .

28/26 with a se wind 

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

4.5 here

• Like 2

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Hrrr has rounds of freezing rain returning later . 28 currently.  Very few pingers here before the dryyyy slotttt .  

Got 4.8" total between 8:30 - 12:20. Great rates once it started. Missed lasts hours measurement but I'll go with the 4.8. Fun storm and it's far from over here with hours of ice coming .

28/26 with a se wind 

Dry slot better fill in if the storm is far from over. Not much to the west at the moment and I'm guessing a thinning cloud deck will lead to a bump in temps. I'm already at 30 and hearing the drip-drip.

7 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

After growing up in Ellicott City, I was shocked at how many March snowstorms hit NYC. Last year was particularly crazy, with big snows going into April. I've learned never to say die until it's really over. 

One thing is for sure the folks here will let us know when it’s really over.  There will be no wondering. 

2 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

HRRR says precip returns, but it is probably rain by then.

yeah..It looks like there will be some consolidation and pretty good returns late afternoon to mid evening...Not sure anyone can hold on to snow until then, but I'm sure there will be areas to the NW that will still be below freezing

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Hrrr has .30"- .4" qpf through 3z with temps below freezing here . Yea...I was  speaking for mby +Westminster on n+w .

Makes more sense for you since you can probably hold below 32 significantly longer than us. Could get slick up there if it gets in soon enough. I will say HRRR wasn't that accurate after say the 13z run or so. Gave us too much snow.

10 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

That march 2017 storm was something else. The world around me was like a glacier.

Hardest snow I've ever shoveled, all 3" of it.

The great sleet storm of 2007 was one the craziest things I've ever seen.  Sleet is usually a just transition precip around here and we rarely see more than a coating or half inch of the stuff.  In that 2007 storm it POURED heavy sleet for hours with a loud hissing sound and sleet literally cascading off of roofs.  We got like 6-7" of pure sleet which was welded together by a crust of freezing rain.  You could walk on top of it without breaking through.  I remember people's cars helplessly stuck because inches of ice had their tires locked in place.

• Like 2