Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

Just now, Weather Will said:

No expert but is the NAM further south or just moving more slowly then GFS?

B4D94A74-E1CB-4797-9912-F1FB2FF8E4DA.png

9C9EF8F9-6927-4021-BF3C-7F567775E258.png

It is further south but still gaining latitude quickly as it moves east with the NS shortwave digging south. Difficult to say if it would end up much different for our region. Go ahead and extrapolate lol.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It is further south but still gaining latitude quickly as it moves east with the NS shortwave digging south. Difficult to say if it would end up much different for our region. Go ahead and extrapolate lol.

yea i do wonder about some of the west or east trends mentioned when that could easily be due to slower or faster.  probably why it's best to wait until the run is over to draw conclusions, too.

• Like 1

It would be nice to see the NAM trend east with the H5 low, not just south. It also looks to be about 6hrs slower than the GFS. If you overlay them taking the delay into account, the NAM is further south but they are similar. The NAM looks to have a hellacious phase thereafter and the trof axis is still too far west. This run was "better" but the improvements were exaggerated IMO.

5 minutes ago, 87storms said:

yea i do wonder about some of the west or east trends mentioned when that could easily be due to slower or faster.  probably why it's best to wait until the run is over to draw conclusions, too.

That is what I was wondering. I see slower, certainly. I don't see yet that it will result in E-SE though for our area.

8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

My intuition is farther south = less northern stream interaction = slower.  The pull from the northern stream shortwave is what speeds it up once it gets captured and starts moving N/NW.  

This is where what Bob said about how it goes once it rounds the base will not be known for a while.  Change that NS tug and placement and it changes the track 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Jan 2000 went pretty severely negative (it basically got scooped up by the trailing vort) but also pretty uncommon.

Thats what some guidance was showing as the Midwest sw dives into the trof to energize the system. But will that energy do a Jan 25, 2000 like you and guidance alluded to? Or will it dive in an energize the developing system? Or will it act more as a kicker to nudge it east? Maybe even a blend. 

• Like 1

84hr 12z NAM vs 82 hr 6z GFS have similar positioning. But the NAM looks sharper and poised for a more aggressive phase. I could see the NAM sending the SLP further west than the GFS with that look, and possibly an earlier occlusion. 

In any case, I didn't see a distinctly positive change. Everything has been mixed lately, with positives offset by negatives. We want something like the GFS speed with the NAM initial lower latitude. Gotta get that trof axis further east.

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, weathercoins said:

Really not sure the purpose of a Tweet like this, it’s not even clickbaitey like we see from others (“here’s an ensemble member showing two feet!”)

Looks like a pretty solid map for now - and she's clear that it's early and things could change.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, H2O said:

This is where what Bob said about how it goes once it rounds the base will not be known for a while.  Change that NS tug and placement and it changes the track 

A really good way to use the 12k nam is to just compare h5 anomaly vort panels at hr48. If it looks a little better,  the nam's primary usefulness in the mid range is over with how I look at this game. NAM is way too prone to do NAM things beyond hr48 IME but changes thru 48 are important for sure 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, weathercoins said:

Really not sure the purpose of a Tweet like this, it’s not even clickbaitey like we see from others (“here’s an ensemble member showing two feet!”)

I don't see an issue with it.  It doesn't hype and starts to give the public an idea of what might be coming so they can prepare.  It also says quite clearly things can change.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Since we are looking at 84 hour NAM here is WB 9Z SREF Mean at hour 87

C5E2EB82-3BF9-47E8-994F-EA03551BC511.png

Miller A look...rides the eastern portion of the Gulf Coast, cross N Fl and re-emerge just off Savannah. We have all been praying for a Miller A for a while, maybe this will develop into the one. There has been luck recently and the WDI is off the charts. 

34 minutes ago, Ravens94 said:

This looks fabulous.

Let's hope globals follow. GFS is headed towards this 

875ad305-71c9-4c39-b3fd-afd90d47dc56.gif

Along with a lot of what has been said, I'm looking at the confluence and the heights around the Great Lakes. Lower heights and more confluence is a good thing to help keep this thing a little more east, but I can't get rid of this nagging feeling that all guidance will pull this thing over or west of DC regardless of the look leading in.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LP08 said:

12z ICON sends the H5 vort from the central NC/VA border, through richmond, over the bay and over the delmarva.

per the weather.us maps, the RA/SN/IP line goes right up 95. Depth map so hardly perfect, but for fun until we get the better maps. Slightly surprised its not better around DC.

snowdepthicon.PNG

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic