Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

per the weather.us maps, the RA/SN/IP line goes right up 95. Depth map so hardly perfect, but for fun until we get the better maps. Slightly surprised its not better around DC.

Actually, the culprit is fairly clear -- DC and close burbs get dryslotted hard for 6 hours in the peak of the storm.

edit: that said, ICON isn't gonna nail anything like that from this range. the low track is better, all that should be noted.

8 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Along with a lot of what has been said, I'm looking at the confluence and the heights around the Great Lakes. Lower heights and more confluence is a good thing to help keep this thing a little more east, but I can't get rid of this nagging feeling that all guidance will pull this thing over or west of DC regardless of the look leading in.

It is frustrating really. It's just a little hallway of weakness to the north/nw on approach. But since it creates that hallway, it doesn't matter much how good looks or where it's located as it turns northward. The whole trip north the upper and surface lows are gunning for that hallway

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

per the weather.us maps, the RA/SN/IP line goes right up 95. Depth map so hardly perfect, but for fun until we get the better maps. Slightly surprised its not better around DC.

snowdepthicon.PNG

Such a close call there for a ton of people. Really seems like we won't be sure how it plays out until we get there.

And I feel like I've seen this kind of thing many times before here in CHO... where I'm always gonna assume there's going to be more mixing and rain than what the models say.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Ole Bucket said:

Such a close call there for a ton of people. Really seems like we won't be sure how it plays out until we get there.

And I feel like I've seen this kind of thing many times before here in CHO... where I'm always gonna assume there's going to be more mixing and rain than what the models say.

From my limited years down there, that does appear to be true. I guess on the positive side for winter wx, I'd expect the CAD to hold on a bit longer. Could be pretty icy. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It is frustrating really. It's just a little hallway of weakness to the north/nw on approach. But since it creates that hallway, it doesn't matter much how good looks or where it's located as it turns northward. The whole trip north the upper and surface lows are gunning for that hallway

Incredibly. I don't think I've been this annoyed in a while. :lol:

I liked your "banana bruise' analogy. It's perfect.

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

From my limited years down there, that does appear to be true. I guess on the positive side for winter wx, I'd expect the CAD to hold on a bit longer. Could be pretty icy. 

Given what happened with all the trees around these parts with the last storm... I could do without ice.

3 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Biggest GFS run of the year coming up. Baby steps. We stopped the bleeding, can we creep back toward a winning solution? 

the good part is snow is almost a lock of some amount for us..that amount is in question but flakes will fly for a bit...not too shabby considering I had the AC on at Xmas and NYE...both of which were warmer than memorial day in 2021...we've come a long way my friend

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

More importantly, because of climo and topography, that area is simply further S and often in the crosshairs of the WAA of a developing cyclone. Circulation hasn't destroyed the column nearly as much during onset/heavies as it will when the storm reaches DC latitude. Thumps to rain for DC often have  SWVA jack. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

the good part is snow is almost a lock of some amount for us..that amount is in question but flakes will fly for a bit...not too shabby considering I had the AC on at Xmas and NYE...both of which were warmer than memorial day in 2021...we've come a long way my friend

I had a foot and then 2-3 inches from the last two storms. After a week of mid 50s over Christmas in Canaan. 6 weeks of deep winter and ripping fatties is all I ever wanted lol.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic