Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

20 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

To me, this setup seems pretty reminiscent of 12/16/20, just displaced a bit to the south at the start. We scoffed at the unconventional track that guidance was showing (and I believe the low did track SE of where it was progged), but it became clear that the ULL being vaulted to the north would definitely scour any cold that was present, regardless of if the LP track was "typical" or not. 

I've thought the same thing for a while this reminds me of that storm. Maybe we do a bit better front end but that was still a fun strom.

Just now, rjvanals said:

I've thought the same thing for a while this reminds me of that storm. Maybe we do a bit better front end but that was still a fun strom.

That was definitely an exciting/volatile storm. There's two differences that stick out to me, with one being that the 850 low was a fair bit west compared to this storm IIRC. At the same time though, the HP wasn't departing as fast, and it was a pretty serviceable airmass given the time of year. 

12 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Split that inner circle and you’re good. Typically we rely upon ensembles up until about this time. For some reason we are super fixated on the ops this time.

Ops have been really consistent. Minor shifts and the same general idea locked in for a couple days now. IMHO- ops have lead the way here this time. 

• Like 1

Seems the general idea has been locked in for a couple days now.

We just have to hope that the WWA precip comes in hot and heavy and the mid levels can hang on for a few extra hours.

A couple of hours of hanging on the mid levels could make a big difference if we are talking 1 - 2" per hour rates.

All 3 major globals seem to be in step with each other with some minor differences. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chris78 said:

Seems the general idea has been locked in for a couple days now.

We just have to hope that the WWA precip comes in hot and heavy and the mid levels can hang on for a few extra hours.

A couple of hours of hanging on the mid levels could make a big difference if we are talking 1 - 2" per hour rates.

All 3 major globals seem to be in step with each other with some minor differences. 

Can't speak for out your way, but I looked at soundings on the GFS for up here, there is the most subtle warm nose at hr87, with temps at 30/31. By 90 I'm at 32, but it would probably be paste bombs. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

Can't speak for out your way, but I looked at soundings on the GFS for up here, there is the most subtle warm nose at hr87, with temps at 30/31. By 90 I'm at 32, but it would probably be paste bombs. 

That makes me feel good about the setup here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

I'm not looking at soundings here cause I know the entire column here will be 

image.png.909938b68d5cf50f7c623431a7f35b92.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That makes me feel good about the setup here. 

you should have felt good days ago, friend. we are good. 

Even the hours where temps and the warm nose are being a pain, if rates are good enough, it won't matter. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

No way we are at the final solution yet. For me I don’t like that it is now flying through here. When you can measure the duration by how many Netflix shows you can get in, that’s too fast.

Your in a better spot than northern MD  in my opinion

I guess it has to do with the location of where the low gets pulled NW but all models have a surge in the mids that cut through Central md and pulls nw up into South Central PA. I think you latitude helps you out in Winchester as the low is closer to your Lat . Before it gets pulled west. If you look at 850s all models have this carve out with Winchesters 850s staying in a better spot.

I think Winchester and a bit south of there might be the best spot to be in the sub forum other than maybe the western Md/ WV mountains

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris78 said:

Your in a better spot than northern MD  in my opinion

I guess it has to do with the location of where the low gets pulled NW but all models have a surge in the mids that cut through Central md and pulls nw up into South Central PA. I think you latitude helps you out in Winchester as the low is closer to your Lat . Before it gets pulled west. If you look at 850s all models have this carve out with Winchesters 850s staying in a better spot.

I think Winchester and a bit south of there might be the best spot to be in the sub forum other than maybe the western Md/ WV mountains

Again, I don’t think we are seeing the end result. What looks good now could look worse later. Of course that works both ways.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic