• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    JimMadson
    Newest Member
    JimMadson

December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

2 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Just starting to see the affects here of that band you're in now. 

Damn thanks for the heads up...just went out and its really coming down...huge flakes.  My flood lights are out so I can't really tell without opening the garage and turning on the light over there.  The flood light wasn't really in a great spot anyways...I need to figure something out.  

Damn thanks for the heads up...just went out and its really coming down...huge flakes.  My flood lights are out so I can't really tell without opening the garage and turning on the light over there.  The flood light wasn't really in a great spot anyways...I need to figure something out.  

Getting destroyed just north of you in southern York county. Heavy snow and 30-40 mph winds.
  • Like 4

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Binghamton NY is getting destroyed right now.  Going to be some CRAZY totals in that area.  

3-4"/hr being reported in that band over northern PA to Binghamton. 2-3' is a lock at this point for that area. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That was the pinnacle of my snow weenie life.  We already had 25" OTG going into that one and ended up with close to 30" in that storm.  It had everything...the first part was a crazy thump of 12" heavy wet snow in 4 hours then part 2 was hours and hours of true blizzard conditions...I remember walking around town..drifts up to roofs just marveling at a sight you never see outside alpine resorts usually.  I mean I've experienced that when I was in blizzards at Steamboat Springs, Revelstoke, and Jackson Hole...but never that combo of snow depth and blizzard conditions where I live.  Probably never will again.  

16 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That was the pinnacle of my snow weenie life.  We already had 25" OTG going into that one and ended up with close to 30" in that storm.  It had everything...the first part was a crazy thump of 12" heavy wet snow in 4 hours then part 2 was hours and hours of true blizzard conditions...I remember walking around town..drifts up to roofs just marveling at a sight you never see outside alpine resorts usually.  I mean I've experienced that when I was in blizzards at Steamboat Springs, Revelstoke, and Jackson Hole...but never that combo of snow depth and blizzard conditions where I live.  Probably never will again.  

My favorite storm.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

We're definitely over 10 now for the storm. 

• Like 1

:(  

:o

6 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

KBGM 170553Z AUTO 1/4SM +SN FZFG VV002 M09/M11 A2985 RMK AO2 TWR VIS 3/4 SLP136 P0040 60120 T10891106 11072 21089 58023 RVRNO

Holy f*ck!!!

2 minutes ago, Arnold214 said:

Friend of mine near BGM had 10” in the last 2 hours. Just sent me this pic. 

87965A29-9731-4C60-AF31-764AB8BDD7DC.jpeg

They got this crazy death band that just keeps on producing. Wild, wild subforum up there, snow rates to absolutely die for!

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

3-4"/hr being reported in that band over northern PA to Binghamton. 2-3' is a lock at this point for that area. 

Three feet of snow. I'd love to go dig them out so bad...........

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Man its ripping here . Reminds me of the feb 10th 2010  when the ull energy crossed over WV and radar blew up . Good wind with that one . This will obviously be just like a 3 hour part 2 of today but on a small scale similar. 

At least 3 inches new snow . 

Yeah I remember that storm even down in Dale City VA, the radar just exploded, got windy and lots of snow, snow blowin all over. It got snow all over my shoveled driveway and walk, I was forced to do it all over again lmao!

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

@PhineasC not juiced enough...

Been chatting with the BGM NWS office overnight. They got 5, that's FIVE inches in one hour, midnight to 1 am. The deformation band is pivoting, but Binghamton is right smack in the middle at the pivot point. They'll end up over 30" for sure.

Screenshot_20201217-024916_RadarScope.jpg

• Like 3

Man, that could have been us. Crazy how far north that ended up though. Nowhere even remotely close to where it was modeled for days and days.

I must have missed most of that last band. I had mostly sleet on the cleared surfaces with maybe a dusting of snow on top of that.

The Euro and the NAM were awful with low placement, but the thermals were pretty good. They had the 850s getting too warm well into PA and that was accurate. If anything, they still underdid that. The HRRR did a terrible job timing the changeover (it was way earlier than it said), but did a better job showing the backside stuff as sleet and not snow and hardly accumulating for my area. Euro definitely gave me way too much with that.

• Sad 1

I was pretty sure yesterday morning that DCA would end up with only a trace - it always, always underperforms in snow events. Just 16" in the 2016 storm when everywhere else in the immediate area was two feet or greater. I wonder if the location only got 16 inches during the Knickerbocker storm that dumped 28 inches at 24th & M.

Looks like a HECS for many areas in the northeast . 

20F 

Best I can tell is I got a bit more after I measured last night at 1230am 

I'll call it 3.3" new 

10.3 " storm 

One to remember 

Tough shoveling this sleet in the middle.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Looks like a HECS for many areas in the northeast . 

20F 

Best I can tell is I got a bit more after I measured last night at 1230am 

I'll call it 3.3" new 

10.3 " storm 

One to remember 

Tough shoveling this sleet in the middle.  

I got 14-16” or so in Lewisburg PA and that’s with the mega band setting up shop to my north. The totals out there thru NY will be crazy

• Like 1