• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    JimMadson
    Newest Member
    JimMadson

December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

25 minutes ago, Solo2 said:

Back side snow looks to have dropped a fresh 2" on the concrete that was left over from earlier in the day....24.5 out.

Went out and measured...about 2 3/8" overnight.  So ~8.5" for the event.

Total was 10.5. Got really windy so accurate measurements were difficult during part 2 overnight. May have been more because it snowed until 3-3:30 but I'll go with 10.5. Have to see how that compares to area reports.

• Like 3

20"-40" reports in Pennsylvania and NY . Record book territory for sure . Models did a good job sniffing these big totals. Exact Placement changed around but the idea of a historical storm has been there for days. 

Just now, losetoa6 said:

20"-40" reports in Pennsylvania and NY . Record book territory for sure .

Visiting my parents house in the Hudson valley, pretty nice storm here but looks like we’re just south of the area that got nuked.  Maybe 10-12 inches here with a lot of drifting.  I brought my snowshoes and hiking gear, gonna drive up to the Catskills and play in the deep powder tomorrow. 

• Like 7

After it turned back to snow I went to bed it turned to heavy sleet when I got upstairs...still looks like an inch or so extra because I cleared the steps and driveway and both are solidly covered. Fun storm...not sure my location change got me more or less snow....but it did get me a good dinner and company :wub:

5" total snow/sleet

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Visiting my parents house in the Hudson valley, pretty nice storm here but looks like we’re just south of the area that got nuked.  Maybe 10-12 inches here with a lot of drifting.  I brought my snowshoes and hiking gear, gonna drive up to the Catskills and play in the deep powder tomorrow. 

Albany is under that death band right now. Just FaceTimed with my buddy - UNREAL. 5” per hour rates 

5 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

After it turned back to snow I went to bed it turned to heavy sleet when I got upstairs...still looks like an inch or so extra because I cleared the steps and driveway and both are solidly covered. Fun storm...not sure my location change got me more or less snow....but it did get me a good dinner and company :wub:

5" total snow/sleet

Not too shabby man! Glad you got to enjoy some good company <3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

About 2 inches before the cutover yesterday. Seemed to have gotten decent ice accumulation over night. Have a few downed large branches in the yard and the trees are all coated in ice. 

8" plus another 2" after sleet/zr slop.  Impressive mess to clean up.

Woke up to another surprise!  Widowmaker maple tree left us a gift in the yard and fortunately it came up short of blocking the lane.

I don't mind storm cleanup this time of the year, I'd rather be shivering as I warmup into the workout then sweating like a pig in mid August with 75 dews LOL!

It’s not looking good up north... apparently roofs are collapsing. Some are at 36”... From the images, you don’t know what anything on the street is, cars look like piles of snow.

32 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

20"-40" reports in Pennsylvania and NY . Record book territory for sure . Models did a good job sniffing these big totals. Exact Placement changed around but the idea of a historical storm has been there for days. 

Binghamton already has three different reports of over 40” on their local storm report.  Awesome stuff.

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Binghamton already has three different reports of over 40” on their local storm report.  Awesome stuff.

Binghamton...Camp David...same thing...phineas is a bonetard lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, WxMan1 said:

Been chatting with the BGM NWS office overnight. They got 5, that's FIVE inches in one hour, midnight to 1 am. The deformation band is pivoting, but Binghamton is right smack in the middle at the pivot point. They'll end up over 30" for sure.

I checked out their hourly obs - 0.40 for that hour, and they got 0.35 and 0.36 for the next two hours!  Can you imagine.  And all while in the mid teens.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Subsidence is a bitch. Anyone in the New England forum melting down over this?

5EBC6823-D7B0-464C-AA76-D101566ED898.jpeg

Fgen forced snow bands are great when you are under them, but frustrating as hell if you are in the adjacent area of sinking air.

Just talked to a colleague in Troy- closing in on 2 feet there and still snowing.

My friend in Conway NH otoh is tired of getting missed lol. That area was a huge bust zone in the last big storm up there, and now getting fringed. Probably will still end up with 6 inches or so.