• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueValleyHVAC
    Newest Member
    BlueValleyHVAC

December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

Wasn't as great a storm as I had hoped, but objectively, had I not known about its potential, I would be happy with it. 3" of snow, and then sleet and freezing rain is hard to be upset over in mid-December.

Still chasing my first 1' snow event.

I measured another inch of mostly sleet with some freezing rain and snow mix over the last 4 hours...on top of the 7" of snow I measured that fell between 11am and 5PM.   So 8" storm total as of now but my depth is still 7" due to compacting.  

• Like 1

Its funny how so many south of me are seeing snow and im about %80 sleet and colder then those to the south. proves weather will do what it wants :)

Did anyone in this forum get double digits snow totals? North and west folks? Curious where the jackpot zone was in this Mid Atlantic region. 

Nice write up @psuhoffman. It has switched back to sleet/snow here after a couple hours of freezing rain. Cleared boards are white again. Hoping to wake up to a nice surprise!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ruin said:

Its funny how so many south of me are seeing snow and im about %80 sleet and colder then those to the south. proves weather will do what it wants :)

you need to get under a heavy band to mix out the warm layer that blased north at the mid levels

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I measured another inch of mostly sleet with some freezing rain and snow mix over the last 4 hours...on top of the 7" of snow I measured that fell between 11am and 5PM.   So 8" storm total as of now but my depth is still 7" due to compacting.  

Same here - pretty much to the tee. What’s your thinking on timing for the ULL?

Just now, psuhoffman said:

you need to get under a heavy band to mix out the warm layer that blased north at the mid levels

Starting to see what you’ve mentioned take shape on the ML maps. We’re still a few hours away on the surface reflection, but the radar has taken a more N/S orientation already. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

As the system finally closes off its mid and upper level circulation we will see this current band continue to pivot, but it will also backbuild and fill a little...how fast that happens will determine our fate.  I made my stance...I think we get a decent snowfall tonight...but we will see.  

Please tell me how this didn’t make the BINGO card. :lol: Hello @NorthArlington101

CD1D3F62-09D6-48B8-A1F9-40B181C0FFCD.jpeg

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yeah I just dont know if the future radar is correct or not it is back filling in a bit but radar shows snow atm and future but shows snow and mostly sleet radar returns are a strange thing. Going to be a nightmare if I get much more sleet. reminds me of the early 90s when we ended up having a inch of snow then go like 3 inchs of sleet the next 10-12 hours. Im glad it wasnt frz rain.

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

858f347740a9a6c07d47fe9693ca9c9d.jpg
Think this is where we ended up. Glad people enjoyed referencing it! Hope we can fill one out again soon.

How is this the first time I’ve ever seen this? Epic. 

2 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Same here - pretty much to the tee. What’s your thinking on timing for the ULL?

We are seeing that banding now...how much it fills and slows is the real issue...next couple hours at least...better runs like 18z euro keep it going until 3am or so...

• Like 1

Just came in from trying to get some ice pics with the SLR.  Can't get a handheld shot worth a damn and heard loud cracking of weighted down tree limbs.  Oh great!  Haven't heard it like that since the ice storm in 2014 which did heavy damage in our forest of balsams and spruce trees.  Lights flickered a few times and picked up a few power line flashes to our west too.  It's going to be a long night.  It's sleeting hard now.  Rain started at 1609 here with 8" of snow.  Cleared the lane as it's never fun to deal with that crust on top!  Insert obligatory "Imagine if this stayed all snow" line here! ;)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

858f347740a9a6c07d47fe9693ca9c9d.jpg
Think this is where we ended up. Glad people enjoyed referencing it! Hope we can fill one out again soon.

Replace Jebman with "where do I sign?"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Went back to mod sleet during last 45 mins. Just slightly ironic that changeover occurred during my high temp 32.8. Altho have just dropped to 32.4 in last 15 mins. 

Because the surface temp isn’t what changed you over.