• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, msg112469 said:

I'm sorry. You're right. It was the Euro, but you get the idea. It's common for snow totals to come down as you get closer to game time on large events! You should know that since I've seen you on this forum for the better part of a decade. 

The reason I posted this time around is because of the magnitude of what was possible. 

It doesn't look like we'll get 4 feet. We'll likely get 2 feet in the Boston area and I'm OK with that.

My point was no model was spitting out 40''. Only weenie maps with weenie snow algorithms were printing that. 

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Really bizarre to see the surface low waaaaay out of the benchmark and the 700mb low tucked so close to the coast.

Not really sure what to make of it.

hrrr-conus-ne-z700_speed-3464800.png

hrrr-conus-ne-t850_mslp_prcp6hr-3464800.png

Given the strength of the 500 low and the position of the 700 low wouldn't the heaviest precip be north and west of the 700 low?  These panels show some of the heavy precip south of it.  Seems strange to me.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

It then combined them into an orgy ENE of the Cape. That is so weird, I have never seen that.

It's a super bizarre evolution. Like the HRRR has a nasty 500mb dry slot over Providence and Boston with the SLP center way outside of the benchmark. This one is going to look very very weird I think.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Its running away with this....check your SLP map at 24 hours and it's right where I circled H5:

Jan28_12zEuro24h.png

Just catching up, seems I was blissfully away from guidance all morning.

At quick glance, don't have any grand insights except to say that the circled vorticity associated with the runaway SLP was even more prominent at 0z Euro. Weird, and suggests this is a highly sensitive and close pivot in outcome. Maybe an issue of how much the energy rounding trough can dominate. H5 maps tell us this should track closer, but all guidance trends tell us otherwise. Stressful forecast for the periphery. Sounds cliche, but we nowcast. 

5 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

I really believe I'm just fine. I do think it's slipping away for some people.

You're right, I did walk away with 15" on 1/7. But most people didn't come close to that, and so it was a lonely 15". I'd much rather not jack but enjoy the social satisfaction of general euphoria when everyone is getting in on a biggie, than jack on a storm where there are more have-nots than haves.

So do you believe River east is fine too? Asking for friends 

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Too many people going ballz deep on models giving them uber snow totals.

would be best for everyone to never look at the NAM, but the change on the Euro at 12z, after two really consistent runs at 0z and 6z and given how close in we are, has to hurt for many.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Stepped away for some work and the train wreck came as expected, right on time. The euro just might finish it and send everyone outside of EMAATT off the bridge. 

I flew here for this storm. All I ask is if people are jumping off bridges, let me go first. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

So do you believe River east is fine too? Asking for friends 

Every weather forecast has an underlying level of uncertainty - anyone who says otherwise is clueless to the basic premise. I think even east of the River, a southeast to northwest gradient is likely. We will probably get into good banding, but I'd expect Steve to do better than us. But predicting the location of the best banding in a major coastal within 15 miles is one of the harder aspects of winter forecasting...probably right below predicting ptype in marginal setups.

Just now, wxsniss said:

Just catching up, seems I was blissfully away from guidance all morning.

At quick glance, don't have any grand insights except to say that the circled vorticity associated with the runaway SLP was even more prominent at 0z Euro. Weird, and suggests this is a highly sensitive and close pivot in outcome. Maybe an issue of how much the energy rounding trough can dominate. H5 maps tell us this should track closer, but all guidance trends tell us otherwise. Stressful forecast for the periphery. Sounds cliche, but we nowcast. 

It's my feeling as well.  It's a battle of what energy will be able to dominate, thus pulling/pushing the SLP and associated MLs.  It's definitely a nowcast as models won't be able to resolve out in time.  Right now it's making the difference between a great snowstorm vs memorable one.

• Like 3