• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

FWIW, From Bernie Rayno, great Accuweather meteorologist:

“BTW what you are seeing in modeling with minor changes is classic  WINDSHIELD WIPER EFFECT..Stay in the middle and don't get pushed around. The overall pattern and snowstorm is unchanged”

Seems like sound advice.  Here out on far NW fringe of storm, I am just pulling for something memorable to play out in ENE.  Enjoy.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MegaMike said:

Give it until 00 UTC tonight to lower expectations.

Let the storm fully materialize so that data assimilation can work its magic.

I'm not surprised the ECMWF altered its track. Initializing a (relatively) course modeling system (9km, I believe) with a developing/phasing, southern shortwave must be challenging to resolve/parameterize. See the below comment from an NCAR employee: 

image.thumb.png.22e1d61c6be7ec71523ea316d878f6f4.png

I'm more concerned about the mesos depicting the dual low look, but it's perhaps still a little too early for them as well.

A NCAR employee saying that the grid resolution of the model that beats the US's own nwp month after month after month shouldn't be used is kind of rich, tbh.

2 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

I feel like we lost sight of the fact it's the day of the storm. But hard not to, when there is an all time rugpull like that. All jokes aside here. I busted Phins balls and he absolutely called it. He can stay. 

you, on the other hand, have been summoned to the principal's office immediately.

6 minutes ago, CCHurricane said:

This is partially a commentary on the modern news cycle, the need to be first and gain eyes, and the ease at which model output has now become accessible.

In my opinion, even when there is model agreement prior, publicly making available snowfall amount forecasts or maps 18-24 hours prior to an event is irresponsible. We’ve seen time and again how things can shift, and even when Mets explicitly state this people often focus simply on the numbers. 

My two cents: There needs to be a step back to speaking in generalities and the impact, rather than the amount.

-Significant

-Moderate

-Low

Agree!!...it's an ever growing problem. One of the Boston stations had a reporter doing a live shot outside of a  closed Shaws at 530 this morning...

30 minutes ago, dabru said:

Just east of the southern tip of Quabbin here and I must say this has been a great thread so far. 

This set up may be a huge win for me on a bust in my area, owning 4 liquor stores business will be huge today as people prepare and then tomorrow I will get tons of crying weenies looking to drown their sorrows! WIN _WIN 

The brown water must be moving off the shelves at record pace. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Snowcrazed71 said:

So... Do you think this is just part of the windshield wiper affect?  Still feel ok with the latest totals? ( I know... Theres never a guarantee ). 

I think I'm too high in the Hartford area. Hard to keep 12-20" when you have a pretty notable jump east with the mid level low centers especially.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

I feel like we lost sight of the fact it's the day of the storm. But hard not to, when there is an all time rugpull like that. All jokes aside here. I busted Phins balls and he absolutely called it. He can stay. 

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Why wait that long?

Exactly. Already started, lol