• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's all about that stupid dual low. If guidance is off (whether weaker or barely any semblance of it) that will change the whole evolution. 

I don't understand, and we discussed the other night, why a rapidly deepening cyclone would have a dual low. It must be the got dam Hadley Cell ripping the convection NE or something that won't allow this thing to go nuclear. 

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This is really turning into an intolerable situation for the MA offices, up through NYC ...  This series at 12z basically removed them from even winter storm warning criteria - arguably .. - yet they were cooked into believing a blizzard was en route.  They have blizzard headlines down there that frankly, don't have a prayer at verifying "IF" this 12z Euro had any say.

And if these are right solutions - the elephant in the room is that the models, et al, could not get this right at 30 hours -

although, does the GFS re-enter the discussion there? I dunno - might be right for the wrong reasons in that case... separate headache. 

Eastern LI does very well.  NYC  meets winter storm warning criteria. 

13 minutes ago, George001 said:

I think this guy has the right idea. 

Honestly, this guy is very knowledgeable when it comes to breaking down forecasts and models. I follow him on twitter. He puts out great videos and breakdowns on weather systems. BUT with that being said he took a leap of faith with those numbers. At least he is going to adjust them. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This is really turning into an intolerable situation for the MA offices, up through NYC ...  This series at 12z basically removed them from even winter storm warning criteria - arguably .. - yet they were cooked into believing a blizzard was en route.  They have blizzard headlines down there that frankly, don't have a prayer at verifying "IF" this 12z Euro had any say.

And if these are right solutions - the elephant in the room is that the models, et al, could not get this right at 30 hours -

although, does the GFS re-enter the discussion there? I dunno - might be right for the wrong reasons in that case... separate headache. 

Yeah.  You can't blame them.  If this does end up going sideways, then someone needs to figure out how we can get these models to be more in the ballpark on this type of weather event in the future.  Yes, I know "these are tools and you need to know how to use them", but at the same time, I feel confident there's highly trained mets throwing shit in their offices wondering how the hell are they supposed to forecast with so many changes to the data 6-12 hours from when the storm is supposed to start based on location.  I can't begin to imagine the amount of data that I don't have access to that there is to analyze when this is your trained profession and job to do.

This isn't me melting - I think modeling is fascinating, and it's always interesting to me when they take a dump, especially very close in to an event.  This is probably why NWS has been trying to be conservative with forecasts while we have been following along here.

• Like 2