• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

Silly question- from seeing weak and sheared tropical systems where the center absolutely chases the convection, with some runs suggesting a warm core and a warmer than normal Atlantic off the NE, maybe surface lows chasing convection out towards the Gulf stream might make some sense.  Does that make sense?

• Like 1

LETS ****ING GO!!!! NAVY ON BOARD!!!! No dual low on the navy and it deepens the low to 972 mb, this is a huge red flag and should not be ignored. The Navy gets a lot of shit, but it’s a useful model even if it’s verification scores aren’t the highest. The way I use the Navy is I don’t just look at it and assume it’s 100% right, because it usually isn’t (I have made this mistake before early on, but after a few horrible busts I learned my lesson). My rule of thumb with the Navy is that if it is farther west than other guidance, I throw all guidance east of the Navy out the window. I  first heard of this rule a couple years ago back when I was still an anonymous lurker, and it seems to work well for the most part. When incorporating the Navy into my  forecasts, I blend it with other guidance that is farther west, so for me I’m blending it with the 6z Euro (12z thrown out the window because it’s weaker and east of the Navy), 12z Nam, 12z Canadian, and a give a bit of weight to the short range RAP and SREFS. Since the Navy is so far west, I see that as a huge red flag and am giving more weight to the western guidance like the (high res) Nam, Srefs, and 6z Euro. Am I being a weenie? Maybe a little bit, but the Navy jumped west for the mid Jan inland runner like 3-4 days out, and once that happened I adjusted my forecast and gave up hope for anything more than a couple inches before a changeover to rain in my area. 

image.thumb.png.fb79be874368f7a77665c9b8515b78e2.png

• Like 1
  • Weenie 7