Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

Just now, Go Kart Mozart said:

I sure as fuck don't know what that means...I can't be alone here....

TWC music from '93-94 winter. Basically its code for "the pattern looks like a cold gradient pattern" where we are on the cold side. Week 3 looks more classic big ridge out west but week 4 starts going toward more typical La Nina look but it's cold at least...not a torch February look. Everything retros a bit in week 5/6 but still seasonable around here so it would be a decent pattern....though we're getitng into utter clown range at that point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

He also said this right after that:

"Wasn't that long ago many were wishcasting this warmth away because the MJO was going to be in phase 8 during early-mid Jan. There isn't a significant signal for Eastern US cold w/ phase 8 MJO, but there's a good/significant chance for warmth if the MJO reaches phase 4-6 in Feb"

One of the mets here was pushing that phase 8 last week.

So far, this month is challenging 2007 for warmest January - 11.4 AN thru today compared to 13.0 AN in '07.  That year things turned cold on 1/14; from that date thru Feb 24 (6 weeks) only one day got above freezing, and that only 33°.  Jan 14 thru Mar 9, 55 days, ran 9.1 BN and there was still another 46" snow to come.  Haven't seen anything like that progged for this winter.

11 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

18z gfs is more like the likely reality regarding the end of week system . Stronger primary via phase and weaker and East follow up nothingness 

Makes sense.

But right now? Flip a coin. That's what such a high level of run-to-run inconsistency tells me. GEFS/EPS say there's a non-negligible chance of something more. It's also further out in time - day 5.

Probably can't toss this aspect until we see consistent runs like that on Thurs.

This has been a season of tucked secondaries. Albeit crap ones. I'm on board for both these attributes. 

• Like 2