Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Seems like we'll want that whole trough orientation to be shifted a bit east for getting much snow out of it where we are....maybe far western areas don't need too much movement.

It would be fitting this winter to get a legit wave bombing on the front, only for the front to be stalled too far west and we get another round of heavy rain while it snows in NY State.

I know the run isn't done yet, but :lol: 

so3wLHv.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I desperately need 200mb windchart of the Pacific from @brooklynwx99explaining why this time will be different ...maybe drop a "mountain torque" no less than 3 & not more than 6 times. 

It's a pretty nice pattern being depicted....there will be some of us forced to jump back on the bandwagon by the weekend if it keeps showing that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I desperately need 200mb windchart of the Pacific from @brooklynwx99explaining why this time will be different ...maybe drop a "mountain torque" bomb no less than 3 & no more than 6 times. 

the reason for the mess in the Pacific is from mountain torque too. the +EAMT caused the jet extension and super -EPO, but it was too much of a good thing, so to speak

we'll see the jet retract due the -EAMT already taking place... this should take a week to 10 days after it occurs, which brings us around the 17-20th where the ensembles are flipping the look out west. this retrogression makes sense too. we aren't in a super Nino where these jet extensions have tropical support

trust me, this shit is frustrating, but all you can do it wait and try and make a good call based on what you have, and it looks like another torch from the 15-22nd or so, then a flip to a possibly legit cold pattern. I don't think it's a head fake

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I have to be sarcastic because otherwise I'd just cry, but I'm still in on this winter.

Its not a rat IMO.

The final week of January into early February probably has to be our Waterloo moment if it's going to happen. Anything after that would likely be too late. If we can rack up 2 or 3 decent storms in that period, then winter is at least salvageable to a certain extent. Can't fully make up for losing half the winter....well, unless we maybe go 2015 or 1956, lol.

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the reason for the mess in the Pacific is from mountain torque too. the +EAMT caused the jet extension and super -EPO, but it was too much of a good thing, so to speak

we'll see the jet retract due the -EAMT already taking place... this should take a week to 10 days after it occurs, which brings us around the 17-20th where the ensembles are flipping the look out west. this retrogression makes sense too. we aren't in a super Nino where these jet extensions have tropical support

trust me, this shit is frustrating, but all you can do it wait and try and make a good call based on what you have, and it looks like another torch from the 15-22nd or so, then a flip to a possibly legit cold pattern. I don't think it's a head fake

I know, I'm just bustn'...I agree.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The final week of January into early February probably has to be our Waterloo moment if it's going to happen. Anything after that would likely be too late. If we can rack up 2 or 3 decent storms in that period, then winter is at least salvageable to a certain extent. Can't fully make up for losing half the winter....well, unless we maybe go 2015 or 1956, lol.

Don't sell the 1956 analog short...it was high on my list.  I may have just messed the timing up, which is easy to do.

3 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Lock it in now wave two will be a 50 mile wide 6-12” rotting band from Brooklyn to MJO up to Montreal. While everyone in New England rains and by Jan 21 MJO and Brooklyn will have to file a restraining order against Ray. 

Something is going to pop...I have 3.5" on the season with an average of like 63" lol

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Well, based on that euro set up ..NYC maybe closer to most in sne given it’s a longitudinal system but my money is on the whole idea / second system weakening and shifting East 

A glorified fropa. 

West cashing in on this makes sense given the way the BL floods with marine air in the east, out to the CT river, and NNE into New Brunswick Canada. Eastern Upstate NY best spot currently, Vt, Berks right behind. And ironically that ocean influenced Surface WAA that skunks us is what largely lays the ground for secondary cyclogensis, with UL height falls right behind it.

We don't have a cold press, or surface high anywhere in the northeast by the time this sets up, so I don't see why the SLP can't Bee-Line it to Caribou.

• Like 2