Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 3, 2022 CAPE Storm Obs/Nowcast

WxUSAF

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

That was a rather inexplicable meltdown.

Cut that in half and the storm is a success. C’mon folks.

We know how it works lol it’s all about perspective and where you live. This looks pretty good either way for DC to Annapolis even with some little ticks south but for the folks between Baltimore and the PA line, every little tick matters. Man does this appear to be a brutal cutoff but hey, I think the “southern” folks have earned this. 9 out of 10 times the NW folks do better. Let the metro folks have theirs

• Like 5

Just now, LP08 said:

It’s a 20 mile wobble.  Noise. We know where the bands will set up anyway. 

That's how EVERY storm is.  It's like the eye of a cane staying on one point with 20 models runs up to the event.  That doesn't happen.  If this was a 100 mile shift, ok..but we're talking 20 miles and yes, even that has HUGE implications for people on the edge, I get that..but the over-exaggeration...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 18Z GFS….I am being only slightly melodramatic…the bleed toward the NAM has begun.  Thee was a reason the NW burbs are only under WWA.  I still think it is great if the DC metro gets a foot!

7E8F2023-9C5F-4A70-B581-A075334D20EB.png

Repeat this with me .. The. NAM. SUCKS. Now by the time the storm starts it may get it correct, but nothing is bleeding toward the NAM.

• Like 2

The 500mb and surface track didn't really change on the GFS.  Maybe a slight north wobble at certain panels?  But the cold/dry air push on the northern edge is stronger.  That tightens the precip gradient, hence the reduction north of DC and same (or better) south of DC.

• Thanks 7

9 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 18Z GFS….I am being only slightly melodramatic…the bleed toward the NAM has begun.  Thee was a reason the NW burbs are only under WWA.  I still think it is great if the DC metro gets a foot!

7E8F2023-9C5F-4A70-B581-A075334D20EB.png

I used to date a woman in Brunswick It's decently NW so yeah your totals are a fair amount lower but your area certainly does NOT  speak for the NW burbs. I for one think you should just speak for Brunswick 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

The bullseye is like 5 miles from my house. I’m good too. The north and west crew will outperform us like 9 out of 10 times. But I’m rooting for a broader precip shield and a MOCO death band so everybody eats

That snow map tells me the deathband will set up near us..closer to you…but that 15 is over my house.  I guess it’s ok

Just now, WxUSAF said:

The 500mb and surface track didn't really change on the GFS.  Maybe a slight north wobble at certain panels?  But the cold/dry air push on the northern edge is stronger.  That tightens the precip gradient, hence the reduction north of DC and same (or better) south of DC.

Better ratios north side. Actually looks like colder push helps northern side a bit more because it's a quicker flip. Consensus seems to be advisory level event south of I-70 and sharp increase to warning level for US 50 corridor.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

That was a rather inexplicable meltdown.

Cut that in half and the storm is a success, those in the NW reaches should have expectations lower. C’mon folks.

Oh believe me, mine are low. But hey whatever. I don’t believe models can be accurate to a range of 20-30 miles though, so I’ll keep hope alive. What does it hurt?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Can’t that gradient also create a band on the edge?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

That's better than I thought it would be. Add in the hour 23 and I mean, I'll roll with 3-6" in MoCo. That was my expectation this whole time.

11 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

If one was to come here and not seen 12z or 18z, they would think the storm disappeared off the coast of SC going by the descriptions here.  

Weenies are cray.