Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 3, 2022 CAPE Storm Obs/Nowcast

WxUSAF

4 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Not a weenie post, genuine intrigue: wonder what, if any impact the warmer than usual ocean water might have on the storm (death band, more juice to work with, etc.).

A lot of this is known, but here's a CWG article that supports the idea.

"Ken Kunkel, a senior scientist with the North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies, has been studying shifting extreme-precipitation trends in the United States for more than 20 years. A study he led in 2009 found an increasing trend of high snowfall seasons along the East Coast, as well as the emergence of a feast or famine pattern, where winters either over-deliver snow or underperform relative to the seasonal average.

He said the physics involved in generating heavy snow suggest that climate change could be a factor in recent heavy snowstorms, given that the biggest snowfalls tend to occur when the air is near freezing, which enables the air to hold more moisture. A complicating factor, though, is that increasing air temperatures may be making what would’ve been a snowstorm 20 years ago into a cold rainstorm.

Increasing sea-surface temperatures, Kunkel said, are boosting the snow potential of East Coast storms.

“The oceans have been warming overall,” he said. “These storms are deriving their moisture from the Atlantic and more moisture is being brought into these storms. That certainly is a big component of it.”"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/02/05/snowfall-records-climate-change-northeast/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Interstate said:

Yeah but when you get 1-2 inches and 30 miles south gets 12+ is hard to take sometimes. 

There's some lecture in there about knowing your Climo and putting your house up for sale to move to a snowier Climo but I totally understand and feel your pain.  It totally sucks.  Sometimes youre the fly and sometimes youre the windshield.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronTy said:

There's some lecture in there about knowing your Climo and putting your house up for sale to move to a snowier Climo but I totally understand and feel your pain.  It totally sucks.  Sometimes youre the fly and sometimes youre the windshield.  

Like how I moved from Prince Frederick to South of Hanover, PA last year? Hope SOMD gets what they deserve. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Been out enjoying the Spring-like day. Lots of people out at Terrapin. Stopped and had a flight at Cult Classic. So what did I miss? Obsessions over bumps north? south? Snow-eating mud concerns? Forecast here is 4-8". Seems about right.

58 here. Defo feels like snow.

Cult Classic? Noooo. It all tastes like tin can. Ten Eyck my jam. You in a great spot. Enjoy YOUR storm. B) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1