• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    sereinwriter
    Newest Member
    sereinwriter

Feb 18/19 Disco/Obs

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

He's a good guy, contractor, has helped us out a lot. Wife is retired, watches their youngest grandchild. She runs the fence with our puppy when the weather is nice. 

We will have to shovel the walk and around our cars, but 90% of the driveway will be good to go. I usually make them sweet treats as thanks. We mow each others lawns when on vacation, help with other stuff, things like that. Good neighbors to have. 

Neighbors like that usually don’t exist in city living. One of the advantages to living where you do, the snow being another HUGE one. 

• Like 1

its pretty cool that we had 2 chances in this storm just like we did last week. the first chance--was sleet and 25 and the 2nd chance looks like it wont happen. I love how we maximize our potential!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, ravensrule said:

Neighbors like that usually don’t exist in city living. One of the advantages to living where you do, the snow being another HUGE one. 

No doubt. I get a kick when my husband and the neighbor pull up along the fence on their tractors to shoot the shit. Cracks me up every time. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

HRRR shows ZR and snow blossoming over the area by like 5 or 6z tonight. 

Alright can somebody clear up for me the whole Z system? What time (on the clock) is 0z? Or does it vary by model?

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Alright can somebody clear up for me the whole Z system? What time (on the clock) is 0z? Or does it vary by model?

0z is 7 pm

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

In the winter it’s 5 hours earlier ie 7 pm, when they change the clocks it’s 4 hours earlier. It’s the same on every model

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

its not happening anyway

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

The folks who have answered already are correct. It took me a long time to get in the habit of knowing how to do the conversion in my head. And then of course you need to re-adjust for DST when it starts back up. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

the concept itself can be tricky, but just think of Z as universal time that doesn't have a spring forward/fall back, so right now greenwich is 5 hrs ahead of us.  it's 9pm there (aka sun rises there 5 hrs earlier).  when we spring forward, we're moving 1 hour closer to them.

Just now, Kmlwx said:

The folks who have answered already are correct. It took me a long time to get in the habit of knowing how to do the conversion in my head. And then of course you need to re-adjust for DST when it starts back up. 

I was in the Navy so we live by z time.  And the 24 hour clock.  It’s 1600 now lol

3 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

24, Freezing Drizzle.  It's put a decent coating on everything.  Haven't measured the accretion, but 0.1"seems about right.

Is there a nice sheen to the fresh snow out there? Bet it's gorgeous.

Currently 32/26, overcast. A bit of melting going on, but not bad.

• Like 1

was just out (bc i get antsy) and main roads weren't too bad, but parking lots/intersections were still slick.  probably best to not go out if you don't have to.  it looks more like it snowed than i thought it would.  legitimately looks like 2" of compacted snow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Is there a nice sheen to the fresh snow out there? Bet it's gorgeous.

Currently 32/26, overcast. A bit of melting going on, but not bad.

A bit.  Would show better in the sun.  

• Like 1

The Hill of Doom in Arlington had two plow trucks going uphill, plowing in my side of the street.

I wondered what pull some neighbors on the other side have with the county.

But then a third truck went down the hill and plowed them in...

• Like 1

LOL YES! They plowed! Oh my god I feel bad for these folks but when this sleet bomb hardens tonight, it's going to be impossible to get through it.

I quickly shoveled the sleet bank away from my car's path.

sKq5teU.jpg

• Like 1

And now there have been two salt trucks, and a third just spread sand too.

I guess they are worried that vehicles will slide helplessly downhill and try to take out the I-395 wall.

Just now, ErinInTheSky said:

LOL YES! They plowed! Oh my god I feel bad for these folks but when this sleet bomb hardens tonight, it's going to be impossible to get through it.

I quickly shoveled the sleet bank away from my car's path.

sKq5teU.jpg

Gotta leave the snow wall there. Its an excuse for a Friday off. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

HRRR shows ZR and snow blossoming over the area by like 5 or 6z tonight. 

That second batch blossoms into a massive area of pixie dust.  I have a feeling it will overperform somewhere.  Unfortunately   NJ/NYC/NE  might steal it from us again.  It's too light and moves through to quick for us to really have a shot at anything significant.

59 minutes ago, Ji said:

its pretty cool that we had 2 chances in this storm just like we did last week. the first chance--was sleet and 25 and the 2nd chance looks like it wont happen. I love how we maximize our potential!

It’s not getting enough attention the fact wave 2 was on all guidance at 0 and 6z and most at 12z then just totally failed. It was a consensus .2-.3 qpf. Imagine if that was it...we would have been tracking a 1-3” snow that totally evaporated to nothing 12 hours out. Guidance is really struggling right now. It’s understandable to have shifts like that from 48 hours on out but they are struggling with things in nowcast even. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Sandy is the perfect description. I might just break out the beach chair :)

Did someone say Sandy!? Yep. The Euro nailed it. :lol:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s not getting about attention the fact wave 2 was on all guidance at 0 and 6z and most at 12z then just totally failed. It was a consensus .2-.3 qpf. Imagine if that was it...we would have been tracking a 1-3” snow that totally evaporated to nothing 12 hours out. Guidance is really struggling right now. It’s understandable to have shifts like that from 48 hours on out but they are struggling with things in nowcast even. 

In a winter where guidance has consistently struggled... I’m still stunned by the divergence between the gfs/para and really all of the other models (although most now depict a tenth of inch of qpf). 18z GFS shows a really nasty ice storm overnight.