Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That is awesome....January may very well be colder than I had anticipated because I didn't expect a SSW. HM was saying that the last time that he saw this profound a signal was January 2004 (Steve may nail the brutal cold)....now imagine overlaid onto a weak modoki canvas.....not saying that it will happen again, but I agree with Tip that this season should be the February 2015....not that season :lol:

If that makes sense?

That's a lot of good news and I hope it works out. Last year's Feb SSW event completely turned things around.

Unfortunately it was a little late in the season for us NYC metro folks but even then we still managed a rockin March.

4 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Wow, didn't realize you had that much up there, that's one of our vacation spots along with Powderfreaks area.

3 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

How does it feel to have that much snow on the ground?  I miss that feeling greatly.

A lot of people are surprised. Had a meeting with a wedding planner this morning who came up from Portland and was shocked - she wanted to see the yard, firepit etc lol. 

I like having a deep pack, for sure, although I'm more into watching it fall than the pack itself. Of course, the combination of the 2 is the holy grail. Hopefully we rebuild fast after this cutter, we've had a deep snowpack for quite a while

A lot of people are surprised. Had a meeting with a wedding planner this morning who came up from Portland and was shocked - she wanted to see the yard, firepit etc lol. 
I like having a deep pack, for sure, although I'm more into watching it fall than the pack itself. Of course, the combination of the 2 is the holy grail. Hopefully we rebuild fast after this cutter, we've had a deep snowpack for quite a while

I have a feeling that January will be quite active and into February
  • Like 1

Isotherm and others  alluded to changes that the models might go through and it's starting to happen.

There is a chance of some snow on Xmas. The gefs is colder for the 27th storm and the nye storm is also colder and further south on the gefs.

I think the models are having a tough time in regards to the ssw event.

Fun times ahead

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Isotherm and others  alluded to changes that the models might go through and it's starting to happen.

There is a chance of some snow on Xmas. The gefs is colder for the 27th storm and the nye storm is also colder and further south on the gefs.

I think the models are having a tough time in regards to the ssw event.

Fun times ahead

Hope So.....

21 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I have noted this multiple times, but KBOS really stands out low on the precip front. Almost every year. I don't see that as coincidence, but I'm not sure what it could be other than issues with instrumentation.  I would need to see other sites, but you have some samples not far from the city.

We were split a lot during the summer and even some of the synoptic storms. Seemed like we had a forcefield.

36 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its the EURO the first run that it caught on.

That was a magical day. We were kind of distracted by an ongoing 5 or 6 inch wet snow, which at the time was the biggest event of the season. Euro led the way in the overnight runs and everything else came on board at 12z. Went from nothing to a HECS in the modeling within a few short cycles. Special. First of three 20"+ storms, and 4 12"+ in the following weeks lol.

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

That was a magical day. We were kind of distracted by an ongoing 5 or 6 inch wet snow, which at the time was the biggest event of the season. Euro led the way in the overnight runs and everything else came on board at 12z. Went from nothing to a HECS in the modeling within a few short cycles. Special. First of three 20"+ storms, and 4 12"+ in the following weeks lol.

I mean the run that shifted the jack out of NYC....but yea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Ha, Maue just added 45 day snowfall to his model site now.

He posted a teaser on Twitter that actually supports much of the discussion in here. Disclaimer: snow maps are garbage, BUT they do highlight the potential pattern. The absolute number of snowfall is a WAG from the EPS, but given that little to no snow falls in New England between now and New Years, all of the accumulated model snow is for the month of January. So pointing towards an above normal snowfall month.

I was wondering about those numbers on the wxbell site. Like have they derived some sort of model climatology for the snow being forecasted? Or is it just a thing that throws out number that we just accept to have meaning?

11 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I was wondering about those numbers on the wxbell site. Like have they derived some sort of model climatology for the snow being forecasted? Or is it just a thing that throws out number that we just accept to have meaning?

I believe it is just mean snowfall for the 51 members (snow includes sleet at 10:1, so probably a little high bias). 

But seeing the EPS spit out 40+ inches in 45 days definitely signals the potential for above average snowfall pattern setting up.