• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 23-24 Storm Banter

ORH_wxman

I think there has been an over reaction to the modeling today as there was when it showed favorable solutions, I think SNE is still in the game and south, Lot of moving parts that need to get resolved over the next day or so before mailing anything in

It was very surprising to see so many good mets bite on the over correction south yesterday. I had so many people texting me, etc saying they saw on tv the storm was missing us to the south, and they saw it on tv etc etc. How could they write this off?

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was very surprising to see so many good mets bite on the over correction south yesterday. I had so many people texting me, etc saying they saw on tv the storm was missing us to the south, and they saw it on tv etc etc. How could they write this off?

Names of these good mets?

I think the NAM in an hour will be the first to have the western shortwave fully sampled.  What it does with its first 48 hours should give us a clue about where things are headed.  I guess these 12Z runs will tell the tale as to what general direction we are headed in.

Nervous but I have my tickets for Philly.  Anyone else travelling?

I think the NAM in an hour will be the first to have the western shortwave fully sampled. What it does with its first 48 hours should give us a clue about where things are headed. I guess these 12Z runs will tell the tale as to what general direction we are headed in.

Nervous but I have my tickets for Philly. Anyone else travelling?

Nam runs now

Yup. I think this previous notion of a huge precip shield is gone. This is gonna be living on the edge for alot of us. Welcome to my world of winter 2015 when ECT banged and WCT had a flizzard.

Hopefully the euro can fail like it did for us and NYC last year

I think the NAM in an hour will be the first to have the western shortwave fully sampled.  What it does with its first 48 hours should give us a clue about where things are headed.  I guess these 12Z runs will tell the tale as to what general direction we are headed in.

Nervous but I have my tickets for Philly.  Anyone else travelling?

I may be going to Philly burbs, might wait until tomorrow to pull the trigger depending on the todays runs.

Well looks like the first run with good sampling is a good solution.  2 to go plus the GEM and the UKie.  Main worry (for Philly) is warm air changing over to sleet.  Didn't happen in 96 but did in 2003.   Maybe I fly home to a snowy New England on Sunday if the north trend continues.

It looks like we now have a legit good trend with the pressure pattern to our N and NE.

Sterling hoisting Blizzard Watches down in VA/MD/DC

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
1013 AM EST WED JAN 20 2016

DCZ001-MDZ004>006-011-013-014-016>018-503>508-VAZ052>057-505-506-
202315-
/O.NEW.KLWX.BZ.A.0001.160122T1700Z-160124T1100Z/
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-
SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-
CALVERT-NORTHWEST MONTGOMERY-CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST MONTGOMERY-
NORTHWEST HOWARD-CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST HOWARD-NORTHWEST HARFORD-
SOUTHEAST HARFORD-PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-
ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA-
KING GEORGE-WESTERN LOUDOUN-EASTERN LOUDOUN-
1013 AM EST WED JAN 20 2016

...BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH LATE
SATURDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS
ISSUED A BLIZZARD WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY
AFTERNOON THROUGH LATE SATURDAY NIGHT.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND WIND. A WINTRY MIX IS POSSIBLE
  FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING EAST OF INTERSTATE
  95...BEFORE CHANGING BACK TO ALL SNOW ON SATURDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS...POTENTIAL FOR A FOOT OR MORE OF SNOW.

* TIMING...FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT. CONDITIONS ARE
  EXPECTED TO DETERIORATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON WITH THE HEAVIEST
  SNOW...STRONGEST WINDS...AND POTENTIAL LIFE THREATENING CONDITIONS
  EXPECTED FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL CAUSE DANGEROUS
  CONDITIONS AND WILL BE A THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY. TRAVEL IS
  EXPECTED TO BE SEVERELY LIMITED IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE DURING THE
  HEIGHT OF THE STORM FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY. VISIBILITY WILL
  BE REDUCED TO NEAR ZERO AT TIMES IN WHITEOUT CONDITIONS.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH FRIDAY. NORTHEAST WINDS WILL
  INCREASE TO 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 40 MPH FRIDAY
  NIGHT...THEN SHIFT NORTH SATURDAY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.

* TEMPERATURES...MID TO UPPER 20S MOST LOCATIONS. UPPER 20S TO
  LOWER 30S ACROSS SOUTHERN MARYLAND.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

USE THIS ADVANCE NOTICE TO PLAN AHEAD! ADJUST TRAVEL PLANS...AND
PLANNED ACTIVITIES. STOCK UP ON NECESSITIES. MAKE PLANS FOR
ELDERLY FAMILY AND THOSE MOST AT RISK. PREPARE FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF
POWER OUTAGES DURING SNOWY AND COLD CONDITIONS. USE THIS TIME TO
MINIMIZE IMPACT ON YOU...YOUR FAMILY...AND YOUR COMMUNITY.

I'd agree with this... but NYC covers a lot of area... think southern portions of BK/Queens may mix but don't think Manhattan does.  Still so early to make such proclamations, but just hunchies

Ryan kept deleting my post so I'll post it here

We both have been around long enough to know how these work..It wouldn't be surprising at all to see a place like GON even get into mixing issues and a place like SNH gets 8-12 of fluff after tv guys told them 0. 

We both have been around long enough to know how these work..It wouldn't be surprising at all to see a place like GON even get into mixing issues and a place like SNH gets 8-12 of fluff after tv guys told them 0. 

lol

They certainly could get 8-12 up there but who knows. I wouldn't say that these storms all work like that - that's quite a bit of wishcasting.

lol

They certainly could get 8-12 up there but who knows. I wouldn't say that these storms all work like that - that's quite a bit of wishcasting.

It's based on science from the aspect of it happening many many times in the past in similar setups. It's the same as someone posting whiff yesterday. Still science

I thought that way, too, based on my experiences with these storms - until 2010.

I thought that way, too, based on my experiences with these storms - until 2010.

Yeah we had a string of them trend north ('96, '03, etc) until 2010 went the opposite direction.

It's all about that confluence to the north...regardless of the reason for the confluence (in case someone says it doesn't matter because we don't have a huge block), it still is there because of that shortwave.

It may work out that way, but I certainly won't be holding my breath. Need this to move slower and get that s/w out of the way.

Archived