• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23-24 Storm Banter

ORH_wxman

Please refer to this thread for posts on the upcoming storm threat that are not directly analytical/informative in nature...the threads are going to get very crowded now that word is spreading of the threat, and we want to keep a clena thread for analysis, so the other thread will be moderated much more heavily.

Meltdown posts can go in here too.

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in Wareham at the time. There was a swath of 18-24 in SE Mass if I recall correctly

Yes. I would say about 16-20 across the S Coast. That was another case like PD II and the Megalopolis Storm where the big question was how far N would get it after hitting the Mid-Atlantic. In all of those cases we fared very well. Since the late 70s I can only remember a few cases of DC getting it and it miss it us. PD I and Feb 2010 being two examples.

Full grown men asking about '96 because they were too young to remember it. I had just turned. 49 on the way to 50. It was a great storm imby followed by a surprising backlash of 4 inches hours after the snow stopped. We then booked a clipper and reached the snow depth high water mark of that season. Remember 96 fell on an already deep pack.

I had 1' on the ground heading into the 1/'96 event........15 year old HS freshman...remember it well.

Full grown men asking about '96 because they were too young to remember it. I had just turned. 49 on the way to 50. It was a great storm imby followed by a surprising backlash of 4 inches hours after the snow stopped. We then booked a clipper and reached the snow depth high water mark of that season. Remember 96 fell on an already deep pack.

Yeah fell on top of a foot that had built up over weeks.

I also remember prolific, persistent backlash... I expect that with this one, too.

I'm actually in NJ now about 12 miles west of Manhattan and really like my spot for this one.

Yeah fell on top of a foot that had built up over weeks.

I also remember prolific, persistent backlash... I expect that with this one, too.

I'm actually in NJ now about 12 miles west of Manhattan and really like my spot for this one.

I think we had at least 2 feet OTG before '96 here...we had all the December snow that didn't melt and then 14.0" on Jan 3-4, 1996 (very underrated event...hit pike region hard). After the overperforming clipper on 1/10 and the big interior hit on 1/12/96, I think we had over 4 feet OTG.

As people talk about that 2013 storm that slammed CT. My folks live in eastern New Haven county on a 650' hill.  Something like 38"+ of solid snow- not the drifts! They have a ~300' driveway, all uphill (actually the highest house in town- can see LI sound 9 miles way and gets blasted by wind) with a ~10-15 degree pitch. Plow guy couldn't even touch their house or the neighbors'.  Had to use a small excavator to extract around 7 houses in the neighborhood.  Saw the bill. Cost my folks $700+ for one storm. 

Only in CT do people pay this much for a single storm... OK, maybe CT/MA/NYC area.

ULL.love was the backside. Both 83 and 96 had that

I don't remember many of these events people reference. I think I'm probably the youngest regular poster here lol

Yeah you make me feel old. I have vivid memories of those mid 90s storms. That was my senior year of HS. I was going to Pinkerton and it was the first time I ever recall getting school cancelled the night before (obviously that is NBD now). I woke up at 5a-6a or whenever it was and it hadn't even started snowing yet. On the old TWC local on the 8s I used to get BED in the obs from my cable provider...the rest were all NH. It drove me insane seeing "SNOW" every single hour the night before while S NH was "OVERCAST". Anyways, it ramped up by 7a and I picked up about 9-10" by noon. It was pretty meh for where I live now.

As people talk about that 2013 storm that slammed CT. My folks live in eastern New Haven county on a 650' hill. Something like 38"+ of solid snow. They have a ~300' driveway, all uphill (actually the highest house in town) with a ~10-15 degree pitch. Plow guy couldn't even touch their house or the neighbors'. Had to use a small excavator to extract around 7 houses in the neighborhood. Saw the bill. Cost my folks $700+ for one storm.

Only in CT do people pay this much for a single storm... OK, maybe CT/MA/NYC area.

sons were developed to shovel

I think we had at least 2 feet OTG before '96 here...we had all the December snow that didn't melt and then 14.0" on Jan 3-4, 1996 (very underrated event...hit pike region hard). After the overperforming clipper on 1/10 and the big interior hit on 1/12/96, I think we had over 4 feet OTG.

Lol that clipper that crushed DC with like 6 and petered to nothing.

And wow at that Jan 3-4 total... I recall some taint where I was, one in a long line of 4-6 inchers

Yeah you make me feel old. I have vivid memories of those mid 90s storms. That was my senior year of HS. I was going to Pinkerton and it was the first time I ever recall getting school cancelled the night before (obviously that is NBD now). I woke up at 5a-6a or whenever it was and it hadn't even started snowing yet. On the old TWC local on the 8s I used to get BED in the obs from my cable provider...the rest were all NH. It drove me insane seeing "SNOW" every single hour the night before while S NH was "OVERCAST". Anyways, it ramped up by 7a and I picked up about 9-10" by noon. It was pretty meh for where I live now.

Shows how much has changed since then lol. Almost all school cancellations are the night before now

Archived