joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23-24 Storm Banter

ORH_wxman

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually managed to sleep...kept having this dream that I looked outside and it was snowing but not accumulating, everything was green.  I had to force my eyes open.  We are lightening up and near the dry slot but I think hope that will be short-lived.  Gong out shortly will take some pics.  Looks like 10-12 and alot of drifting.  HRRR I think gives me another 12-15.

It's been absolutely brutal...hardcore toaster bath material around here lately. At least I can commiserate with you and all of the other WNE weenies. Now with the meso models tantalizingly close with that northern deform band tomorrow... :axe:

The past several winters have all been subpar around here with big coastal storms either missing or just brushing us. The last genuinely good winter was '10-'11. It seems the more common small to medium snowfalls that make up the bread and butter of a typical winter's snowfall around here (i.e. SWFEs and Alberta Clippers) have all but vanished in favor of the these occasional goliath coastal storms that have been giving the deep interior a big middle finger. Is it climate change related? Maybe, but something appears to be out of whack. Whether it be related to luck or something more sinister like global warming is hard to say.

Yes and no. '02-'03 was a good winter here and that was a Nino. '09-'10 wasn't great, but it was better than this year so far. '97-'98 was only a little below average here, even though the south coast got skunked. The only winter that I think was similar or worse as far as snowfall is concerned up through this point is '06-'07. That one did have a bit of a late turnaround with the Valentine's and St. Patty's day storms and some elevation events in April. In general, I think we tend to do a bit better during Ninas as long as the SE ridge isn't too strong and there's some semblance of blocking downstream.

This pretty much sums it up... Nino's like 02-03, 97-98, even 09-10 were acceptable up here.  97-98 was huge.  02-03 was solid.

There has been a multi-year trend though to have storms track ENE off the coast, rather than NNE, which is what we need in western New England.  You have coastal huggers than are exiting east way too early, too.   

We also haven't had a true big upslope event here since 2012, which also has to do with that predominate ENE track of coastal storms.  We had a 30-incher in 2010-2011, a 36-incher in 2011-2012, and I remember a few years ago J.Spin's data was showing like an average of multiple storms over 18" per year.  But that's sort of fallen off a cliff.

I think its all related to the average track we've seen the past few years of not being able to amplify into a full negative tilt trough ripping a storm due north up the coast.  Both our synoptic snow and big upslope events have to do with getting a strong low pressure over like FVE.  For that it has to rain in downeast Maine and that certainly hasn't happened.  If they get big snow, it ain't happening in western New England. 

And also as you said, there's been a dearth of SWFE or even good clippers, too.  What ever happened to those clippers where you see precip explode over PA/NY state as it amps up and you get a half inch QPF across most of eastern NY into western New England.  Lately they are exploding but not until they are far enough off-shore to crush BOS, lol. 

This pretty much sums it up... Nino's like 02-03, 97-98, even 09-10 were acceptable up here.  97-98 was huge.  02-03 was solid.

There has been a multi-year trend though to have storms track ENE off the coast, rather than NNE, which is what we need in western New England.  You have coastal huggers than are exiting east way too early, too.   

We also haven't had a true big upslope event here since 2012, which also has to do with that predominate ENE track of coastal storms.  We had a 30-incher in 2010-2011, a 36-incher in 2011-2012, and I remember a few years ago J.Spin's data was showing like an average of multiple storms over 18" per year.  But that's sort of fallen off a cliff.

I think its all related to the average track we've seen the past few years of not being able to amplify into a full negative tilt trough ripping a storm due north up the coast.  Both our synoptic snow and big upslope events have to do with getting a strong low pressure over like FVE.  For that it has to rain in downeast Maine and that certainly hasn't happened.  If they get big snow, it ain't happening in western New England. 

And also as you said, there's been a dearth of SWFE or even good clippers, too.  What ever happened to those clippers where you see precip explode over PA/NY state as it amps up and you get a half inch QPF across most of eastern NY into western New England.  Lately they are exploding but not until they are far enough off-shore to crush BOS, lol. 

Maybe we can start a support group.

Wasn't 09-10 bad for you up there as well? The Berkshires usually do better in non-Nino seasons.

09/10 had some snow in Dec but with the exception of Arctic squalls 1/27/10 the stretch between late Dec 09 through Boxing day was the most difficult to bear. Seemed we managed to find every which way to get hosed.

Dec 06/Jan 07 was awful but much like this Dec, you almost resign yourself to the pattern and it allows you to take advantage of it... particularly if you have outdoor work that can be done... warm Dec wx is the best time for brush clearing and the like. Productivity is an opiate for the pain of no snow.

Does it do flashes or just CGs? Because CGs are even more rare during snow events. That could be the issue.

It does both, at least I think it does both, I have two...I tried one and all I was picking up was stuff near Florida, I switched to another and it picked up strikes off the Carolinas last night, and picked up stuff in PA between 8-10am this morning

Mostly cloudy skies here a little west of VT and NWMass.  Never even remotely in the game here, but still par for the course the past several years.  Folks may want to start moving up here to escape the brutal SNE climate :)  Born and raised in CT, and family reporting mostly light snow down there so far.

Archived