joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23-24 Storm Banter

ORH_wxman

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to look at all the big 3 weather websites forecast for the New Haven area.

What do they base these totals on when Upton's max is at the low end of these?

Accuweather- Blizzard early, 3-6"; a bit of snow; storm total snowfall 6-10 inches; travel will be dangerous

Wunderground- Saturday 100 % Precip. / 8-12 in Snow along with gusty winds at times. High 31F. Winds NNE at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of snow 100%. Snow accumulating 8 to 12 inches. Winds could occasionally gust over 50 mph.

Weather.com - Periods of snow and windy. High 31F. Winds NNE at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of snow 100%. Snow accumulating 8-12 inches. Winds could occasionally gust over 50 mph.

We have had 2" of actual snow in the NW corner of MA, the rest was sleet. Worst winter start in my 8 years here.

Berkshires and southern Vermont just as bad.

It's been absolutely brutal...hardcore toaster bath material around here lately. At least I can commiserate with you and all of the other WNE weenies. Now with the meso models tantalizingly close with that northern deform band tomorrow... :axe:

The past several winters have all been subpar around here with big coastal storms either missing or just brushing us. The last genuinely good winter was '10-'11. It seems the more common small to medium snowfalls that make up the bread and butter of a typical winter's snowfall around here (i.e. SWFEs and Alberta Clippers) have all but vanished in favor of the these occasional goliath coastal storms that have been giving the deep interior a big middle finger. Is it climate change related? Maybe, but something appears to be out of whack. Whether it be related to luck or something more sinister like global warming is hard to say.

Wasn't 09-10 bad for you up there as well? The Berkshires usually do better in non-Nino seasons. 

Yes and no. '02-'03 was a good winter here and that was a Nino. '09-'10 wasn't great, but it was better than this year so far. '97-'98 was only a little below average here, even though the south coast got skunked. The only winter that I think was similar or worse as far as snowfall is concerned up through this point is '06-'07. That one did have a bit of a late turnaround with the Valentine's and St. Patty's day storms and some elevation events in April. In general, I think we tend to do a bit better during Ninas as long as the SE ridge isn't too strong and there's some semblance of blocking downstream.

Yup   :)

I lived here for 20 years and I have family here so I came down.  Was here in 96 and nothing has topped that since...maybe tomorrow?  The radar looks incredible and I am going to sleep so I can up early, get out in it and send you guys some vids.

It's going to come close to rival 96. hard to do everything has to break right but man it sure looks good so far. enjoy it man. 

It's been absolutely brutal...hardcore toaster bath material around here lately. At least I can commiserate with you and all of the other WNE weenies. Now with the meso models tantalizingly close with that northern deform band tomorrow... :axe:

The past several winters have all been subpar around here with big coastal storms either missing or just brushing us. The last genuinely good winter was '10-'11. It seems the more common small to medium snowfalls that make up the bread and butter of a typical winter's snowfall around here (i.e. SWFEs and Alberta Clippers) have all but vanished in favor of the these occasional goliath coastal storms that have been giving the deep interior a big middle finger. Is it climate change related? Maybe, but something appears to be out of whack. Whether it be related to luck or something more sinister like global warming is hard to say.

Yes and no. '02-'03 was a good winter here and that was a Nino. '09-'10 wasn't great, but it was better than this year so far. '97-'98 was only a little below average here, even though the south coast got skunked. The only winter that I think was similar or worse as far as snowfall is concerned up through this point is '06-'07. That one did have a bit of a late turnaround with the Valentine's and St. Patty's day storms and some elevation events in April. In general, I think we tend to do a bit better during Ninas as long as the SE ridge isn't too strong and there's some semblance of blocking downstream.

Nice summary, thanks! I sometimes wonder if the lack of big snow falls and lack of consistent nickel and dimes in W NE (E NY) is part of a climactic shift, where our snowfall averages are shifting down while E NE shifts up?

heavy stuff coming in now.   gotta sleep but cant stop looking outside.  almost 4" already

get rest..its not going anywhere lol. I told my brother in Flemington NJ the same thing. Im gonna stay up the latest I can to keep making the good precip push north into the rest of SNE. I want a 96 deform band to tickle my northern neighbors. Just spreading the love, everybody pound! lets go!

Archived