• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23-24 Storm Banter

ORH_wxman

Eastern Region HQ is next to OKX, so we're tied in through there (including our internet). Likewise, national HQ is Silver Spring, MD. So basically these big winter storms are the worst case scenario for our server traffic.

Can't you get in via Prodigy or CompuServe?  I heard they let you 1200K modems now...

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't you get in via Prodigy or CompuServe?  I heard they let you 1200K modems now...

No word of a lie, there are some products that you all can get before we can at the WFO. Basically anything internet based.

We actually used to get the Euro in one data dump after the run completed. So the play by play used to be the best way we could get info in real time. Before we got WeatherBell that is. And now we get the Euro as it rolls out in AWIPS. Slow but steady improvement. 

No word of a lie, there are some products that you all can get before we can at the WFO. Basically anything internet based.

We actually used to get the Euro in one data dump after the run completed. So the play by play used to be the best way we could get info in real time. Before we got WeatherBell that is. And now we get the Euro as it rolls out in AWIPS. Slow but steady improvement. 

Yeah.  I recall speaking to one of the BOX mets about that a few years ago at a gtg (hi Turtle!).  It seemed sad to me that here on AMWx or on Eastern or on Twitter, the info comes out faster than you guys can get it...

Yeah.  I recall speaking to one of the BOX mets about that a few years ago at a gtg (hi Turtle!).  It seemed sad to me that here on AMWx or on Eastern or on Twitter, the info comes out faster than you guys can get it...

I'll enjoy the Euro upgrade in March. The model will be 9 km, yet the "hi-res" version we'll get at work will be 90 km. That's an entire order of magnitude difference!

Or pay $30 a month for it

Well $30 a month allows me to see it online, it doesn't allow me to use it to create my forecast. To get that data into the system we're paying a lot more than $30 a month. Which is why we're buying a discounted 90 km version, instead of the full resolution.

Well $30 a month allows me to see it online, it doesn't allow me to use it to create my forecast. To get that data into the system we're paying a lot more than $30 a month. Which is why we're buying a discounted 90 km version, instead of the full resolution.

Still seems like a better option than invasion

You know this forecast for Denver Sunday is pretty interesting too.

Models are developing a low in SE CO during the day Sunday. Depending on just where that low center is and how quickly it develops, it may not be as warm as forecasts say. MAV going mid 40s, but the MET says 34.

It's actually our cutter for early next week.

You know this forecast for Denver Sunday is pretty interesting too.

Models are developing a low in SE CO during the day Sunday. Depending on just where that low center is and how quickly it develops, it may not be as warm as forecasts say. MAV going mid 40s, but the MET says 34.

It's actually our cutter for early next week.

So you're saying it could be another Manning game with temps sub 40F?

Archived