Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 23-24 Storm Banter

ORH_wxman

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just realized how far out this storm really is...It will still be about a day or so before the NAM starts getting precip in here, so we can't even talk about the 4 or 5 inch qpf numbers that it is spitting out. So much time for this to shift enough to bring it back or I guess shift it further away. My hometown in Lancaster, PA has been in the GFS bullseye of and on over the past couple of days, might have to road trip back...

I dunno if it "schooled it"...GFS was giving ORH like a foot, lol....34" later. :lol:

A compromise between the two would have been a good forecast.

Everyone thinks the euro shat the bed because OKX rode it at the exclusion of other guidance. The fact is it was maybe 30 miles too far west with the good stuff but in the case of nyc it meant the difference between pedestrian and historic for about 15 million people.

GFS has schooled nothing so far this winter

In reality, it's more of a way to break up the wait for the Euro. Kind of like a misleading trailer for an important episode of a television show. Does it hop on a trend that you watch fully become the new expectation when the Euro follows suit? Or is it throwing you off the scent?

Stay tuned! You know nothing, Dry Slot.

Everyone thinks the euro shat the bed because OKX rode it at the exclusion of other guidance. The fact is it was maybe 30 miles too far west with the good stuff but in the case of nyc it meant the difference between pedestrian and historic for about 15 million people.

Yeah the Euro was def too amped, but on an absolute scale, it wasn't a monster bust...as you said, that 30-50 mile bust happened in one of the most populated regions of the country.

RGEM really nailed the blizzard once we got to about 36 hours out.

We'll see on this one, I'm pretty torn on where this could go over the next few runs....I can see an argument for both north trends and a suppressed trend.

It was off by more than 15 miles 24hr prior. The western edge of 24" amounts was out to philly wnj north of nyc into sw ct. Cpk didn't even see a foot. I got 8". The 24" amounts were east of the CT River. Philly to ct river in CT is like 200 miles. I had the maps saved at home but I think I deleted them the next day lol.

I'm sure Will has them plastered around his home, he'll prob disagree and prove me wrong...it comes down to a imby situation though.

I dunno if it "schooled it"...GFS was giving ORH like a foot, lol....34" later. :lol:

A compromise between the two would have been a good forecast.

It's an imby thing though. Gfs constantly shoved the best stuff east of ct river and euro didn't budge then started ticking ne inside 48hr. Gfs had me at like 6-10" for days and I didn't believe it lol, of course. In the end, it was right with regards to my patio snowfall amount.

OKX thought it was better to forecast a reasonable "worst case scenario" than a more likely scenario. Part of that is I'm pretty sure they'd rather get criticized for overforecasting than deal with the wrath of NYC and the state saying they were unprepared. The latter is much worse for them. 

It was off by more than 15 miles 24hr prior. The western edge of 24" amounts was out to philly wnj north of nyc into sw ct. Cpk didn't even see a foot. I got 8". The 24" amounts were east of the CT River. Philly to ct river in CT is like 200 miles. I had the maps saved at home but I think I deleted them the next day lol.

I'm sure Will has them plastered around his home, he'll prob disagree and prove me wrong...it comes down to a imby situation though.

Once we got to inside 36h out, the Euro was focusing more on NYC eastward...maybe the immediate western suburbs of NYC were still in the 24"+ zone...but central/W NJ and back to philly were out of the game by then. You are correct that prior to that it had some insane runs where even philly got smoked.

It definitely was not a good performance by the Euro, but I also think it gets exaggerated due to how many people fell on that 50 mile wide bust zone. It was a lot of people. :lol:

I'm a sucker for these Miller A storms.  I think it's because these were good at my former location right on the north shore where I developed my weenie senses. Too bad the huge pressure gradient and all the other impressive things about it don't usually translate to big snows im-current-by.  

I'm a sucker for these Miller A storms.  I think it's because these were good at my former location right on the north shore where I developed my weenie senses. Too bad the huge pressure gradient and all the other impressive things about it don't usually translate to big snows im-current-by.  

They are not good for NNE, I have stated this more then once and PF and i have had the discussion where he was confused where he thought A's were better, Its B's that we do well on, Not these

They are not good for NNE, I have stated this more then once and PF and i have had the discussion where he was confused where he thought A's were better, Its B's that we do well on, Not these

Agreed. I used to get more excited for them when lived in the MA and then SNE. There's something about A's that are especially exciting - probably watching them move up the coast and impact all those population centers. Get ready for days of hype as the NYC/DC-based media machine latches onto this.... 

Archived