• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 23-24 Storm Banter

ORH_wxman

Agreed. I used to get more excited for them when lived in the MA and then SNE. There's something about A's that are especially exciting - probably watching them move up the coast and impact all those population centers. Get ready for days of hype as the NYC/DC-based media machine latches onto this.... 

Those areas sit in great spot for these, By they time they get here if at all, The already blew there load and is an occluded POS moving off the the ENE, I just like watching the evolution of these systems as they are modeled, This 12z GFS run kind of reminds me of the blizzard of 2013, Just about 100 miles or so further south

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are not good for NNE, I have stated this more then once and PF and i have had the discussion where he was confused where he thought A's were better, Its B's that we do well on, Not these

There's Miller As that work for NNE, but they are just fickle and too much goes wrong with them. Same in SNE. Hopefully for us down here, we'll get a solid "sloppy seconds" hit like Jan '96 or Feb '83...not get fringed.

There's Miller As that work for NNE, but they are just fickle and too much goes wrong with them. Same in SNE. Hopefully for us down here, we'll get a solid "sloppy seconds" hit like Jan '96 or Feb '83...not get fringed.

I think you guys will do well on this one down there , It's been tough winter especially south of here so hopefully some can cash, There will be more chances going forward

These 2 storms are getting thrown around in all sorts of circles as good analogs.

Both of them were good SNE hits correct?

2/11-12 83, 2/17-18 03.

Yes they were...I'd put Jan '96 above those though in terms of similarity to the evolution of this storm.

I know BDL had 21" in 83. I remember that storm vividly at 11 years old.

03 I believe gave BOS over 2 feet.

PDII got further north than both Jan '96 and Feb '83.

They were all good storms for southern New England though. I don't think I'd favor this one getting quite as far north as PDII right now...but can't rule it out.

I like all the analogs.

Not sure if you saw this from WPC that was posted in NYC subforum but so does Kocin

TO PUT THIS SYSTEM IN CONTEXT...THE POTENTIAL SNOWFALL

DISTRIBUTION HAS SIMILARITIES TO SEVERAL MAJOR EAST COAST STORMS

IN RECENT PAST INCLUDING THE 5-6 FEBRUARY 2010 SNOWSTORM/THE

JANUARY 1996 BLIZZARD OF 1996 AND THE PRESIDENTS DAY OF FEBRUARY

2003. JANUARY 1996 IS LIKELY TO BE MORE WIDESPREAD/HEAVY BUT ONLY

TIME WILL TELL. THE MECHANISMS COMING TOGETHER FOR A MAJOR

SNOWFALL ARE TEXTBOOK.

Archived