Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 23-24 Storm Banter

ORH_wxman

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we get the goods this weekend this will be the third year with a major storm, after 1 yr (14) of very good snows and 2015 prolific snows. You couldn't buy that in the 80s.

When we get another stretch like the 1980s, it's gonn be a rude awakening. I remember by the time I got to 1991 or so, I was thinking 3-6" was a huge storm...I couldn't even really fathom a foot or more.

Favorite songs associated with an impending storm?

1.  Gimme shelter

2.  Beethoven's 5th.

3.  Green Grass & High Tides - The Outlaws

4.  Riding the Storm out - mediocre song from REO unless you're a weather nerd.

5.  Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - most non-weather weenies cringe at this song!

Storm Front - Billy Joel

The Rain Song - Led Zeppelin (for James)

High Hopes -Pink Floyd

As people talk about that 2013 storm that slammed CT. My folks live in eastern New Haven county on a 650' hill.  Something like 38"+ of solid snow- not the drifts! They have a ~300' driveway, all uphill (actually the highest house in town- can see LI sound 9 miles way and gets blasted by wind) with a ~10-15 degree pitch. Plow guy couldn't even touch their house or the neighbors'.  Had to use a small excavator to extract around 7 houses in the neighborhood.  Saw the bill. Cost my folks $700+ for one storm. 

Only in CT do people pay this much for a single storm... OK, maybe CT/MA/NYC area.

My folks jacked in that storm just north of New Haven. Were stranded for days before the backhoes made it down the street.

Thanks man. 

so Bethel didnt put up a 30 burger there. thought this area was just short. 

anyway, looks like for DXR its:

I never noticed how much the totals vary for Danbury. There are 3 totals, one from DOT, one from NWS CO-OP (no idea where that is) and one from WCSU ranging from 26" to 19.8". Probably a result of how quickly the snow from that storm compacted.

My folks jacked in that storm just north of New Haven. Were stranded for days before the backhoes made it down the street.

Here in Hamden CT, just north of New Haven, we were absolutely buried. The 40" report came from my town but I believe it was proven false at some point. Regardless, we were snowed in for almost 4 days until the plows were able to break through..

I never noticed how much the totals vary for Danbury. There are 3 totals, one from DOT, one from NWS CO-OP (no idea where that is) and one from WCSU ranging from 26" to 19.8". Probably a result of how quickly the snow from that storm compacted.

yea measuring is weird around here. I remember the octobomb, bethel reported like 11" and danbury reported 18" I believe. just no way towns 5 miles apart are so different. it happens in a lot of storms too.  

Here in Hamden CT, just north of New Haven, we were absolutely buried. The 40" report came from my town but I believe it was proven false at some point. Regardless, we were snowed in for almost 4 days until the plows were able to break through..

Yep, that's where I'm from. My dad said he buried a yard stick with room to spare, but couldn't get an exact measurement owing to the drifting. I was quite happy with my experience in Boston, but admit I almost lost it when I saw that band set up over the old homestead. That was something special.

As people talk about that 2013 storm that slammed CT. My folks live in eastern New Haven county on a 650' hill. Something like 38"+ of solid snow- not the drifts! They have a ~300' driveway, all uphill (actually the highest house in town- can see LI sound 9 miles way and gets blasted by wind) with a ~10-15 degree pitch. Plow guy couldn't even touch their house or the neighbors'. Had to use a small excavator to extract around 7 houses in the neighborhood. Saw the bill. Cost my folks $700+ for one storm.

Only in CT do people pay this much for a single storm... OK, maybe CT/MA/NYC area.

Where do your folks live?

40 inch totals in PA, hmm 58,?

Are you kidding me. Anything short or the slightest inhibitor short of a 10' snowfall...some individuals are bipolar

Four days to go I think some are going a bit overboard... I'd be remiss not to admit I see a model and I'm right back in the old hood. Bias is a terrible thing to overcome...LOL 

Sweet I grew up in guilford. Some great spots with elevation north of rt 80 in both towns.

yep. Some surprisingly nice hiking in and around some areas there.  High points, ridgelines, views.  Rockland Preserve is actually a pretty nice little (well, not that little actually) area that has a pretty remote feel to it for being in southern CT.

Archived