joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23-24 Storm Banter

ORH_wxman

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oops, I didn't mean to sound like I think ski resorts are disgraceful...I just find it interesting to see Wachusett using this storm to boost business...obviously the idea is to make money, so ski resorts like to push the envelope when describing resort conditions... Was just musing about how companies have been sued for false advertising, and I guess ski resorts can be as guilty as that as any company trying to sell a product...I had a friend on FB who lives in Springfield,ma message me last night and ask me why I was posting about this storm probably being a miss when his forecast from the TV was for 6-12 inches...

I'm missing out on snow.   :weep:    :baby:

I'm past the sad stage. I have reached acceptance. If we get a hit now it will be a pleasant surprise. Because I'm not seeing sh*t in terms of hope right now. We can talk about a stronger ULL, weaker confluence, but NYC is fringe right now and BOS is not. 

It would take a major, major model failure for this to produce 12+

I'm past the sad stage. I have reached acceptance. If we get a hit now it will be a pleasant surprise. Because I'm not seeing sh*t in terms of hope right now. We can talk about a stronger ULL, weaker confluence, but NYC is fringe right now and BOS is not.

It would take a major, major model failure for this to produce 3"+

FYP

It would take a major, major model failure for this to produce 12+

I'm sorry for your loss.  I never get to the sad stage.  It's just snow.

There is just something so horrid about watching the euro roll out and having someone cut the rope you had your weenie tied to so you fall off the cliff and smash into a million pieces. On the other hand when models lend a helping hand and pull your weenie back up over the cliff it feels fantastic.

win or lose, what you end up is with a used and abused weenie.

I think the runs at 00z tonight will be telling. If they don't budge tonight, or show any signs of weakened confluence (and or stronger southern vort)..I think the fat lady will be on the cusp. Like Will said, lets hopefully see some small signs of improvement starting with the 18z American suite.

Call BS on enjoying the modeling more than the actual storm ;).

Truth

.i will always recall Boxing Day storm in 2010 lol.

Nothing 48 hours out,

Nam led the charge at 18z then gfs followed , that continued at 0z and to TOP IT , the storm prediction center was tossing those models that abruptly and then consistently showed us getting 1-2 feet due to frankly anything they could pull out of a hat.

In the end it crushed earthlight and nyc and Se mass to scooter got about 14-20 w screwgie north of pike

But really same deal blizzard of 2013, was the huge lead time and enjoyment of seeing models for days

Def enjoy the storm but he has a point

Truth

.i will always recall Boxing Day storm in 2010 lol.

Nothing 48 hours out,

Nam led the charge at 18z then gfs followed , that continued at 0z and to TOP IT , the storm prediction center was tossing those models that abruptly and then consistently showed us getting 1-2 feet due to frankly anything they could pull out of a hat.

In the end it crushed earthlight and nyc and Se mass to scooter got about 14-20 w screwgie north of pike

But really same deal blizzard of 2013, was the huge lead time and enjoyment of seeing models for days

Def enjoy the storm but he has a point

Yeah I see that...its obviously why we are all here.  You are right though in that the models can offer a longer period of satisfaction if you just continue to get smoked run after run... you can be living the snowstorm high for 5 days straight and the actual storm is done in like 24 hours or less.

Sometimes I do wonder if some get just as much satisfaction out of seeing an awesome model run and seeing the actual storm.  For some its not even the storm, its just getting the models to show a big hit and live vicariously through that.

This wxforum as a whole is split into subforum communities and when we have a winter like the last one where many got historic conditions it gives everyone in our subforum a bad reputation. I hate to always use football analogies but if you want to be a part of the team/family during the good times then you have to act like a grown adult during the bad. I'm pissed that the storm is missing as much as anyone but when you have to comb through posts of bullsh*t over and over again it's alot more annoying.

You know what people should be doing? Congratulating the Mid Atlantic. I saw enough snow to coat the ground once living in Maryland. ONCE.

Well they don't even like snow down there except for maybe a couple weenies. We appreciate snow more in NE and we have all the toys to enjoy it: skimobiles, snowshows, x-country skis, jeeps, toboggans.....Half of 'em probably don't even own a shovel, they threw them away after 2010 - one time use. 

Call BS on enjoying the modeling more than the actual storm ;).

Scott and Will both will attest to the tremendous headaches it caused in a variety of fashions for the city. No driveways or garages. Sidewalks didn't exist. Streets went from two way to one. It was a pain in the ass.

It was overkill. I would take it again in a heartbeat. But it was like beating an addition. Snow was great, build up was fantastic, the modeling was a fun ride, but one it all fell and the high wore off... it definitely was not a fun situation to deal with.

Archived