joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23-24 Storm Banter

ORH_wxman

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably a different evolution, but anyone remember a storm last March that was a virga storm north of 84 in CT (I nor KTOL received any flakes) but south of 84 accumulations slowly built up, maxing around 6-8" on the shore?

From a lifetime of living in CT, it just seems that northern cutoffs as modeled are even sharper in reality due to dry air/virga. I wouldn't feel comfortable along 84 unless models push the good stuff to the pike.

I share your concern

I'm not going to bother going back searching for the post, but you seemed to intimate some areas had hit 30 inches in all three storms that year. So far as I know, that wasn't the case. I would've said Feb 5 was their best shot.

but there were places that did 15-20 in dec storm, 20-30 in early feb, and another 15-20 just a few days later with depths of 3-4 feet on the level....now that was something for the ages...i mean three block busters in one winter and two of them back to back with little melting...that's right up there with anything 40/70 or coastalwx or orhwxman experienced last winter

I wonder how they determined that these upgrades were supposed to help

Back when they had ETA and RSM members they were much better for coastal storms.

They probably had a convection fetish when they were running verification on them

The folks at NCEP are definitely aware of it. It would be fair to say they're not thrilled about their performance. I spoke with Bill Lapenta and Uccelini about how worthless the SREFs were and they basically said that "we know we have a lot of work to do."

but there were places that did 15-20 in dec storm, 20-30 in early feb, and another 15-20 just a few days later with depths of 3-4 feet on the level....now that was something for the ages...i mean three block busters in one winter and two of them back to back with little melting...that's right up there with anything 40/70 or coastalwx or orhwxman experienced last winter

thats about as epic as it gets plus they were 300-400 pct of climo in places!! still to this day i cannot get over that winter for them down there

Just worthless. Basically all the ARW are printing out like 2" or 3" of liquid. 

Worthless. 

Even so, there are some ARW cores that have only a couple inches at BDL. It would mean a little more if all the ARW members were spitting out big numbers. But they aren't, so it's really just a few weenie runs skewing the mean.

Even so, there are some ARW cores that have only a couple inches at BDL. It would mean a little more if all the ARW members were spitting out big numbers. But they aren't, so it's really just a few weenie runs skewing the mean.

Here's the difference between the ARW and NMB plumes

post-40-0-69551500-1453384497_thumb.png

post-40-0-18066500-1453384504_thumb.png

It was absolutely epic down there without question, though not quite on the level of eastern Mass. I believe coastalwx pulled over 100" in just three weeks last year, including two 30" events, and two more in excess of 16", to say nothing of endless OES weenie snows. Edit: Perhaps their seasonal total was more anomalous, but that three week period for us trumps anything IMO.

It was absolutely epic down there without question, though not quite on the level of eastern Mass. I believe coastalwx pulled over 100" in just three weeks last year, including two 30" events, and two more in excess of 16", to say nothing of endless OES weenie snows. Edit: Perhaps their seasonal total was more anomalous, but that three week period for us trumps anything IMO.

Two 30" events is debatable and I will never know for sure since I could not measure in real time. But it was close.  The other two were not quite 16 and it was around 30 days iirc that I hit 100".  But your point stands..lol.

Two 30" events is debatable and I will never know for sure since I could not measure in real time. But it was close.  The other two were not quite 16 and it was around 30 days iirc that I hit 100".  But your point stands..lol.

Oh, i thought you'd pulled it off between Juno and 2/15. Either way, still insanely anomalous.

there's some mets over in that banter thread having problem facing the reality of this thing and keep perpetuating a bargaining rationale that's embarrassing. 

look - if this regions "pulls of the improbable" (give it a rest.  like it's improbable it'll be 100 F on saturday too) there is no way anyone would have known one way or the other.  

there's some mets over in that banter thread having problem facing the reality of this thing and keep perpetuating a bargaining rationale that's embarrassing. 

look - if this regions "pulls of the improbable" (give it a rest.  like it's improbable it'll be 100 F on saturday too) there is no way anyone would have known one way or the other.  

There's still a decent part of the subforum that has a shot at decent snow...you're in one of the worst spots up just NW of 495. I'm not much better.

But for folks in CT/RI/SE MA, this is still a real threat. God forbid we talk about areas in our own subforum that may get a real storm if your backyard can't.

there is a way for this to screw phl and dc and possibly nyc...and not by suppression either...if this thing were to wrap enough warm air in to the coast without the dynamics (as you say it shot its load already) there could be some wasted qpf on mixed snow/rain/sleet temps in the mid thirties 

that would be the ultimate FU for those folks...that in my mind is worse or as bad as smoking cirrus getting a few inches of slop

There's still a decent part of the subforum that has a shot at decent snow...you're in one of the worst spots up just NW of 495. I'm not much better.

But for folks in CT/RI/SE MA, this is still a real threat. God forbid we talk about areas in our own subforum that may get a real storm if your backyard can't.

no, ...i'm not going to parse through every word choice used to point out that 'fiddling with reality' aspect... 

forget it.   

it's a long shot down that way at best.   

the real trend is toward nothing.  will pan that way ?  hell who knows.   but it was never about forbidding others from talking about their zones. that's not what is annoying.  but again, better things to do with one's time -

Archived