joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23-24 Storm Banter

ORH_wxman

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melters gonna melt. Can't win them all, folks.  

This wxforum as a whole is split into subforum communities and when we have a winter like the last one where many got historic conditions it gives everyone in our subforum a bad reputation. I hate to always use football analogies but if you want to be a part of the team/family during the good times then you have to act like a grown adult during the bad. I'm pissed that the storm is missing as much as anyone but when you have to comb through posts of bullsh*t over and over again it's alot more annoying.

You know what people should be doing? Congratulating the Mid Atlantic. I saw enough snow to coat the ground once living in Maryland. ONCE.

I think they see C-1"

every ski resort does it, it's nothing new. Just in general, if you could sue ski resorts for false advertising, I think just about every ski resort in existence could be sued...

I generally feel that maybe the shores of CT see some light snows, but anyone north of the pike gets a cirrus storm...

every ski resort does it, it's nothing new. Just in general, if you could sue ski resorts for false advertising, I think just about every ski resort in existence could be sued...

I generally feel that maybe the shores of CT see some light snows, but anyone north of the pike gets a cirrus storm...

Very true. As much as I love Wildcat, their reports are ridiculous. So many times we get 2", and I read the report and it says 6". Head over, thinking they somehow got a lot more than we did - and nope, exactly the same. I wish the reports were put out by an independent party. :)

lol WTF Wachusett...posting they are going to get snow this weekend...talk about untruthful advertising...i wonder if you can sue ski resorts for false advertising?

lol I'll step in here and say 1) there are a lot of weather savvy people in the industry, but just as many uneducated ones too and 2) I'm sure they aren't looking at the 12z models and are running with whatever they heard on the news last night and this morning.

Heck I've seen VT and NH ski areas on social media talking about possible big storm this weekend, even though they have absolutely no chance.

This is what weather hype does.

Very true. As much as I love Wildcat, their reports are ridiculous. So many times we get 2", and I read the report and it says 6". Head over, thinking they somehow got a lot more than we did - and nope, exactly the same. I wish the reports were put out by an independent party. :)

A good reason why I take photos of most of my measurements, and have a pretty decent system set up.  Even if someone disagrees because of wind or something, I have plenty of consistency to back it up.

Like this morning, blowing and drifting like mad but the snowstake at the base was relatively sheltered and had 3" of new snow overnight.  Proof.  You gotta work for people's trust, but after years of doing this at Stowe, I know I've gained the locals trust for snow amounts and that's a big deal around here, haha.

Anytime you get a huge snowstorm as a weather enthusiast, its a win.

I never, ever get tired of winning.

Only losers do.

Some handle it better than others, granted.....but any human being will lose their composure at some point.

Its like a Super Bowl to me..what partial sports fan  never drops an F-bomb upon losing a close game.

lol WTF Wachusett...posting they are going to get snow this weekend...talk about untruthful advertising...i wonder if you can sue ski resorts for false advertising?

Isn't that kind of the ski industry in a nutshell? Spinning and half truths.

I get it, they have to generate interest and get people to the mountain. However, I don't think it's fair to exaggerate conditions, or downplay bad ski days.

I've been skiing several times where conditions were not nearly as good as advertised. If you measure 6" on a 2 foot section of trail near the top of the mountain, is that really 6" new? When the bottom got a couple or whatever

Freak..the gun is at your knee..you still on board for warning snows to the Pike?

Gotta see the Euro...but yes I'd hold with that until absolutely proven it won't happen.  What happens if we see it tickle back up over the next 72 hours?  Theres still a long way to go until snow would reach SNE.

I also agree with Scooter that there's mid-level banding signals well north, so the QPF fields may not exactly tell you the whole story.

Just think you are now in the place I usually am (the north and western fringe, living on the edge)...and what usually happens?  I sweat the QPF and then end up with a mid-level band dropping 20-30:1 ratios and making the most of all the QPF. 

Storms that are progged to be like 0.3-0.5" of QPF, and then you get 8-12" of mid-level band fluff.

Gotta see the Euro...but yes I'd hold with that until absolutely proven it won't happen.  What happens if we see it tickle back up over the next 72 hours?  Theres still a long way to go until snow would reach SNE.

I also agree with Scooter that there's mid-level banding signals well north, so the QPF fields may not exactly tell you the whole story.

Just think you are now in the place I usually am (the north and western fringe, living on the edge)...and what usually happens?  I sweat the QPF and then end up with a mid-level band dropping 20-30:1 ratios and making the most of all the QPF. 

Storms that are progged to be like 0.3-0.5" of QPF, and then you get 8-12" of mid-level band fluff.

You get the sense from some of these posters that they are thinking it's going to be partly sunny with no snow. In a near snowless winter..we should be happy with 3-6/4-8/6-12..etc

Isn't that kind of the ski industry in a nutshell? Spinning and half truths.

I get it, they have to generate interest and get people to the mountain. However, I don't think it's fair to exaggerate conditions, or downplay bad ski days.

I've been skiing several times where conditions were not nearly as good as advertised. If you measure 6" on a 2 foot section of trail near the top of the mountain, is that really 6" new? When the bottom got a couple or whatever

That's why you stick a stake in the woods at the top, and one at the base, and give those two numbers and let people fill in the rest with their imagination.  But also know its never going to be perfect because you are talking 2,000ft+ vertical differences and miles wide mountains.

I don't think the lying is anywhere near as bad as it used to be in the industry.  Its well known that in the 1990s and it especially started in the rough winters of the 80s...of over-selling it. 

Also, conditions are subjective.  That's a real tough one...just look at the personalities in here with regards to winter.  Some are a lot more optimistic in general than others.  That's sort of how it goes with anything that's subjective.  Like the guys that ski every day all season, and still think everything is awesome when its -30F after a day of rain.  You let that guy do the report and he's still going to think its all awesome and a great day to be alive and whatever. 

You get the sense from some of these posters that they are thinking it's going to be partly sunny with no snow. In a near snowless winter..we should be happy with 3-6/4-8/6-12..etc

Yeah I think you take whatever you can get, but I'd much rather be as far south as possible.  Ginxy's work will likely be the best spot in SNE, haha.

Just like all of you caution me in these events when I'm just outside the big QPF, watch the mid-level banding.  Its almost always further NW than progged.  It may not cause widespread big snow but if you get one to form and park for 6-8 hours, someone will get lit up with fluff.

Archived