• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23-24 Storm Banter

ORH_wxman

It is definitely not an easy time, especially since this winter chances are very limited at best for something big. I think the cliff diving will really begin if we start of Feb with a torch and burn key climo time.

cliff diving will start. Crappy winter is on the table. But its like having a winter diagnosed with cancer; you know you might be f*cked but come to grips with it for God's sake. It might happen but so what? We'll all live. Better things to cliff dive over.

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well they don't even like snow down there except for maybe a couple weenies. We appreciate snow more in NE and we have all the toys to enjoy it: skimobiles, snowshows, x-country skis, jeeps, toboggans.....Half of 'em probably don't even own a shovel, they threw them away after 2010 - one time use.

When you say this it basically says to mid atl weenies that they don't enjoy snow as much as us. Tell that to the server when it crashes because they are so excited.

When you say this it basically says to mid atl weenies that they don't enjoy snow as much as us. Tell that to the server when it crashes because they are so excited.

Well of course the Wx Forum members like it, but I mean the general population.  I am happy for the people who like it, but it would be nice if we could all share  :weep:  :weep:  :weep:

1. Can someone give a definition of "confluence" as it is being used in the primary thread?  It is being used far more than I recall seeing it before.

2.  Is anyone going to drink every time "confluence" appears in that thread?

1. Can someone give a definition of "confluence" as it is being used in the primary thread?  It is being used far more than I recall seeing it before.

2.  Is anyone going to drink every time "confluence" appears in that thread?

Confluence in the thread is basically referring to the crunched height field at 500mb that is over and north of New England as the storm approaches. The stronger the confluence, the lower the heights will be, so looking at the height field vs the previous run gives a good idea if it is relaxing some or strengthening.

We haven't really had a monster storm come from the south and run into this type of confluence in a long time, so it's being used more now...probably the most since 2010.

am19psu

Confluence (diffluence) means streamlines - the path an air parcel takes through the atmosphere - are coming together (moving apart). Confluence by itself does not tend to suppress cyclones, but confluence is often a sign of convergence, which does. The unscientific way of explaining why confluence suppresses cyclones is that convergence aloft increases mass in the column and raises surface pressure, "blocking" the cyclone from gaining latitude. That's not exactly what happens, but it's close enough for the layperson.

Should add this URL-

https://www2.ametsoc.org/ams/index.cfm/publications/glossary-of-meteorology/

well some being upset is ok, there were a decent amount of runs and consecutive runs (even though far out) that gave most of sne a decent amount or more of snow, most of us I think knew it was never our storm.

but what are the chances of another similar type storm developing this winter? seems like there are only one or two shots like this.

hopefully in feb we will see something come out of the gulf and bury areas just away from the coast up and down the eastern sea board, its a long time til next winter and who knows if we will all be here.

at some point too the relative parade of crippling storms whether here or mid atlantic or eastern new england etc has to end unless climate change is really going to produce huge events freqently over the next couple decades

oh lol, I am very very happy for my good friends in the MA, they surely will enjoy it as much as we did last year. that is an epic blizzard in a place that they are rare

Dude, they have accidents all over the place from the dusting they are currently getting. This is going to be a disaster for them.

Archived