• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23-24 Storm Banter

ORH_wxman

Dude, they have accidents all over the place from the dusting they are currently getting. This is going to be a disaster for them.

Just like us in eastern half of MA last year, it is a disaster that they will thoroughly enjoy. They had similar in 2010 and were happier than pigs in sh**. It's what we live for on these forums going all the way back.

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to drop in a note of thanks for all the serious chatter going on over in the serious topic..

my brother-in-law lives in Fredericksburg VA and is Ford Master Mechanic at a dealership near DC.. he's dreading digging out and getting out of his neighborhood this weekend, but he's looking forward to all the work from people who decide to use 4WD in their vehicle for the first time, and end up with the transfer case rusted halfway into 4WD because they've never touched it since they bought it .. happens every time they get more than 4 inches down there..

In the back of my mind I have this thought that maybe there could be a boxing day or nemo band on the w or nw edge of this system that surprises weenies in those areas. That kind of mesoscale feature won't be caught until close in. They usually tend to happen a bit NW of forecast or towards the edge where the sharpest qpf gradient is projected. 

I'll give JC-CT and RUNNAWAYICEBERG kudos for dramatically running up their post counts with mostly quality posts!

I've enjoyed hanging out and reading people's ideas.

Thanks, I really don't know all the smart stuff that people on here do, learning as I go...I just go on past experiences and try to put a funny spin on it, we all want snow but having fun tracking stuff like this makes the roller coaster ride that we put ourselves in, more thrilling.

I do think this. Models are not perfect. Jan 2015, euro crushed me even up until go time. I ended with 6-8"  of sand (I dunno I didnt measure once I knew it was a bust I flipped the shades down). Feb 2006, while living in NJ, forecast was for, i believe, like 6-10"...I get in a crush band and end up with 22". Boxing Day, also living in NJ. Most forecasts were for a good sized storm, like 8-16", I end up in the Garden State Parkway crush band and walk away fist pumping with 24". 

You just don't know. Use the overwhelming amount guidance we have these days as a tool but also recognize that systems of this caliber tend to have tricks up their sleeve. That's all. 

It's amazing how the models have been locked in for DCA and BWi to get so much snow. It's been I think 4 days of model runs and they have never wavered

Usually the case with the biggies.

I am most interested in DC.....gun-to-head, I would say they get 20"....but I want them get under a band and get like 30"+....take out knickbocker....that is their 1978.

Usually the case with the biggies.

I am most interested in DC.....gun-to-head, I would say they get 20"....but I want them get under a band and get like 30"+....take out knickbocker....that is their 1978.

Agree. I think they come in with a number like 18 and just outside the city gets 2 feet. I don't think I have ever experienced a storm here that constantly had MBY in the jackpot for so many days in advance. If I recall correctly Feb 2010 was also like that for them.

Archived