• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

5am?  Here they start going after 4am...it's amazing because you start to see a glimmer of light and sure enough they start going.  Birds must like dawn because they make the most noise then but then seem to quiet down after the sun gets up.

I'll echo the thoughts about the dry days and cool nights.  I have a window fan that cools off the house quickly and it's nice to have the cool morning air.  30s yesterday and 40s this morning.  Could use some rain though....

We have a "whole house" fan...it yanks the hot air out through the attic and pulls in the cool air through the open windows...run it for 30 minutes and it does the trick.  If it's nasty out, then the Central air goes on, but we use that 30-40 days a summer depending on the summer, less like last summer, nonstop for torches like '10-12

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5am?  Here they start going after 4am...it's amazing because you start to see a glimmer of light and sure enough they start going.  Birds must like dawn because they make the most noise then but then seem to quiet down after the sun gets up.

I'll echo the thoughts about the dry days and cool nights.  I have a window fan that cools off the house quickly and it's nice to have the cool morning air.  30s yesterday and 40s this morning.  Could use some rain though....

I'm not totally familiar with the Ecosystem here, but all I hear is dead silence in the morning (4-6am) with the window open, no birds or anything, I don't really get it.  Its kind of eerie actually.

I have found it pretty strange compared to the cacophony of sounds from my house in PA starting at 4-5.

Love waking to the sounds of nature, smelling freshly sprouted flowers and trees with the cool breeze. The morning light at this time of year is pretty cool, sort of dim yet bright enough to reflect fall like colors off the newly budded and tiny leaves. Still not full leaf out as the Oaks have finally woken up a little but the  Cottonwoods and Tulips are just starting.

Not a drop this month, with temps avg 73/36 thru yesterday.  Too good to last, methinks.  Last couple of months beginning with a week-plus of dry wx to (5/13 and 6/09) turned ugly quickly and persistently.  2009 descended into stratiform-rain torture, with the subsequent 8 weeks dropping 1.5 feet of rain without ever having two consecutive dry days.  May 2013 only brought a 17-of-18 day rainy spell.  I'm certainly enjoying the COC wx while it's here.

Archived