joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually no QPF worries for you, lol. Western areas have the QPF complex, while you guys have temps to worry about.

It's kind of like on the ski forums, you have the Cascade crowd not worrying abput QPF, but worried about temps instead if they are trying to get fresh pow vs cement. All the interior Rockies posters all start worrying about QPF, lol.

Usually no QPF worries for you, lol. Western areas have the QPF complex, while you guys have temps to worry about.

Besides that, my other concern are dryslots. Boy, do I loathe those. I think there is nothing more evil, than getting into a dryslot or some of those stubborn subsidence areas. I'd rather get 10" of snow washed away, vs getting into a suck zone while everyone else is getting pounded. Truly the most sinful thing ever invented. 

the last couple weekends i have been in Narragansett and all the locals and RI peeps are like..."omg our winter was bad but yours up in Springfield must have been just unbearable!" well it was but not for the reasons these people are thinking...in my head i am saying that you lucky fookers couldn't see down your street while I could see all the way across town...

bitter to the end...........

Haha I'm not bitter but we get a lot of the same comments up here. Tourists from SNE seem to assume we had a record snow year, and then when we tell them it was right on average, they look at you like you have three heads. I tell them to ask the folks who came up here in February when there was 2 feet on the ground (prob spot on average snow depth for Feb in town) when they had 4 feet in eastern Mass.

It generally just shows you how out of touch the general population is with weather...they take their weather and apply climo patterns to it. Like some folks who came up last week left BOS when it was like 50F and got up here to 70s. They mentioned they worried the mountains would be unbearably cold if it was that cold in the city...completely oblivious to the backdoor front idea.

Besides that, my other concern are dryslots. Boy, do I loathe those. I think there is nothing more evil, than getting into a dryslot or some of those stubborn subsidence areas. I'd rather get 10" of snow washed away, vs getting into a suck zone while everyone else is getting pounded. Truly the most sinful thing ever invented.

That's true, that's definitely not really ever a concern up here unless it's like a cutter that's burying western NY. Maybe in a SWFE but that affects everyone generally. You worry about dry slots and I worry about the NW extent of banding haha.

That's true, that's definitely not really ever a concern up here unless it's like a cutter that's burying western NY. Maybe in a SWFE but that affects everyone generally. You worry about dry slots and I worry about the NW extent of banding haha.

Well they aren't too common "overall" and I don't mean something like getting 25" vs 35" or something like that. Just one of those stubborn wrapped up deals that have either a nasty DS or weird subsidence zone. Feb 2006 had a nasty dryslot, but a weenie OES band helped save the day near the end.

• 11 months later...

Archived