Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Desperately need some substantial rain.  

Just dusty dry soil that is impossible to work with.

0.08" here since 4/22. Not good. I've been watering the flower garden and veggies. The grass can go to hell. I'm hoping to get some chickens anyways so they can pick at it and fertilize it. Pastured eggs FTW.

We have 18 chickens.... Good stuff. We took the dirt from their run last weekend and spread it in the garden.

Nice. I may have to pick your brain a bit since I'm going to be a noob. I'm looking to build a coop (preferably mobile like a chicken tractor) over the next month. Then I'll start adding the pullots. I want to let them roam the yard as much as possible. I don't use chemicals anywhere in the yard so they can have a field day with grass, weeds, and bugs. I'm starting to raise my own mealworms too...we'll see how that goes. What types of chickens do you guys have and which do you prefer for eggs? A coworker of mine just picked up 3 chicks each of Rhody reds and leghorns. I was leaning that route with maybe a couple of easter eggers just for something different. My goal is to start with 6 and maybe upgrade to a dozen.

Nice. I may have to pick your brain a bit since I'm going to be a noob. I'm looking to build a coop (preferably mobile like a chicken tractor) over the next month. Then I'll start adding the pullots. I want to let them roam the yard as much as possible. I don't use chemicals anywhere in the yard so they can have a field day with grass, weeds, and bugs. I'm starting to raise my own mealworms too...we'll see how that goes. What types of chickens do you guys have and which do you prefer for eggs? A coworker of mine just picked up 3 chicks each of Rhody reds and leghorns. I was leaning that route with maybe a couple of easter eggers just for something different. My goal is to start with 6 and maybe upgrade to a dozen.

I know you want free range, but if you do that guaranteed they are going to get picked off BT predators. I have two friends with chickens, and even out my way where I'm more urban than you, they each had to build protective pens for them during the day

no problem. We have several kinds. We have Rhody Reds, leghorns, silkies, and we got 5 buff orpingtons a few months ago. The orpingtons are seperated for now, but the others all roam and share the same coup and we have never had any issues really.

We have two coops. One is bigger with windows and 5 nesting boxes, and several bars across the inside  for roosting. It has a big door that opens on the side which makes it easy to clean and to get food in and out. The other coop is new and a bit smaller, but pretty much the same premise. they are both stationary.

We have a space for them to roam, but predators can be a problem, and we learned the hard way when one was killed by a hawk a few years ago. We have an area that is fully fenced in that they can be kept in and move around, and then we can let them into a much bigger run by opening the door to that pen.

I just finished installing a cedar fence today and we have a wire fence on the other side of the run. What we do ( its kind of a pain in the a$$), but worth it, is we put netting over the entire top of their roaming area, about 4-5 feet off the ground. We give them a pretty large area to roam, which is why putting this netting up is a huge project. They have a whole section of the backyard to roam free. 

We buy feed in bulk from a place in Taunton, but we also give them scratch, bread, and worms as well ( we have a worm farm). They go crazy for the worms lol.

We dont use any chemicals either and we give them grass clippings and stuff like that as well 

I will take pictures of the setup tomorrow and post them. It has worked well for us.

Through the course of the summer we will actually widen their roaming area into the woods a bit and they clean the leaves and everything right out. Its like free landscaping.

We sell them by the dozen as well for 3-4 $ a dozen. We use quite a few, but whatever is left, we have plenty of people who will buy.

no problem. We have several kinds. We have Rhody Reds, leghorns, silkies, and we got 5 buff orpingtons a few months ago. The orpingtons are seperated for now, but the others all roam and share the same coup and we have never had any issues really.

We have two coops. One is bigger with windows and 5 nesting boxes, and several bars across the inside  for roosting. It has a big door that opens on the side which makes it easy to clean and to get food in and out. The other coop is new and a bit smaller, but pretty much the same premise. they are both stationary.

We have a space for them to roam, but predators can be a problem, and we learned the hard way when one was killed by a hawk a few years ago. We have an area that is fully fenced in that they can be kept in and move around, and then we can let them into a much bigger run by opening the door to that pen.

I just finished installing a cedar fence today and we have a wire fence on the other side of the run. What we do ( its kind of a pain in the a$$), but worth it, is we put netting over the entire top of their roaming area, about 4-5 feet off the ground. We give them a pretty large area to roam, which is why putting this netting up is a huge project. They have a whole section of the backyard to roam free. 

We buy feed in bulk from a place in Taunton, but we also give them scratch, bread, and worms as well ( we have a worm farm). They go crazy for the worms lol.

We dont use any chemicals either and we give them grass clippings and stuff like that as well 

I will take pictures of the setup tomorrow and post them. It has worked well for us.

Through the course of the summer we will actually widen their roaming area into the woods a bit and they clean the leaves and everything right out. Its like free landscaping.

We sell them by the dozen as well for 3-4 $ a dozen. We use quite a few, but whatever is left, we have plenty of people who will buy.

Sweet...thanks for the info. I was looking at the portable electric fences, but saw these too...

http://ziptiedomes.com

That would give some protection and shade from above. Do you heat yours in the winter or just give them shelter?

I know you want free range, but if you do that guaranteed they are going to get picked off BT predators. I have two friends with chickens, and even out my way where I'm more urban than you, they each had to build protective pens for them during the day

There's no way I'd let them roam freely here without some protection. They'd all be gone in 2 nights...lol 

Get some Guinea hens too Brian

Thought about it. Maybe after I get a little experience with the chickens first. I love goose eggs too.

Sweet...thanks for the info. I was looking at the portable electric fences, but saw these too...

http://ziptiedomes.com

That would give some protection and shade from above. Do you heat yours in the winter or just give them shelter?

There's no way I'd let them roam freely here without some protection. They'd all be gone in 2 nights...lol Thought about it. Maybe after I get a little experience with the chickens first. I love goose eggs too.

Where we have them is kind of naturally shaded, so we haven't had an issue with that.

The winter can get a bit tricky. The laying really slows down, sometimes to a stop for some.

There is an option to use lighting to simulate longer daylight conditions to help produce more. We don't really do that. We do provide heat for them though, especially at night. With the heating device and the way they huddle, it seems to be plenty warm.

does anyone know what kind of math would like come after calculus?  would be kind of cool to go a little beyond that

Technically, differential equations is separate from calculus and is traditionally taught immediately after calc 3. But there is so much more math that can be learned beyond calculus such as: partial differential equations, (complex) analysis, numerical methods, statistics, etc.

0.08" here since 4/22. Not good. I've been watering the flower garden and veggies. The grass can go to hell. I'm hoping to get some chickens anyways so they can pick at it and fertilize it. Pastured eggs FTW.

khaki campbell ducks

No it isn't. You aren't looking at anything.

I don't think he was around yet for 1962 thru August 1966.  That was a real drought, with 1965 the driest year on record for CT,RI,MA,PA,NJ,DE.  Someplace in the west part of NY holds that state's record, set in a different year, but '65 was NYC's driest by over 6", with '64 in 2nd place.

Got a surprising 0.26" overnight, doubling my May total.  Had expected under a tenth.  Still a long way to go.

Where we have them is kind of naturally shaded, so we haven't had an issue with that.

The winter can get a bit tricky. The laying really slows down, sometimes to a stop for some.

There is an option to use lighting to simulate longer daylight conditions to help produce more. We don't really do that. We do provide heat for them though, especially at night. With the heating device and the way they huddle, it seems to be plenty warm.

We have had hens for years, and have also raised meat birds.

I find that Orpingtons are the best birds for our relatively cold part of upstate NY.  Australorps are my personal favorite, and my kids love the Buffs.

They are very hardy and lay nice large eggs.  I think you will enjoy yours.

And we do not provide heat in the winter.

As long as your birds can stay dry and have a place to get out of the wind and direct weather they will do fine.  The laying does slow down considerably.

I don't think he was around yet for 1962 thru August 1966.  That was a real drought, with 1965 the driest year on record for CT,RI,MA,PA,NJ,DE.  Someplace in the west part of NY holds that state's record, set in a different year, but '65 was NYC's driest by over 6", with '64 in 2nd place.

Got a surprising 0.26" overnight, doubling my May total.  Had expected under a tenth.  Still a long way to go.

People talk about 65 and 66 here a lot. Local pond all but dried up.

Anyways best chance of rain west and north it seems Tuesday. Hopefully we all get some.

Looks to me from what I saw was mostly from about ORH north for good rains with less than .10 south...but maybe you have access to other data?

Well the euro was driest here. But also wettest here yesterday and that failed. I think best chance again is west and north.

Archived