joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically, differential equations is separate from calculus and is traditionally taught immediately after calc 3. But there is so much more math that can be learned beyond calculus such as: partial differential equations, (complex) analysis, numerical methods, statistics, etc.

I was thinking of taking partial differential equations at some point and perhaps even some of what you mentioned.  Even thinking about linear algebra but I wouldn't take any of these unless they are the only course I'm taking.  Maybe something I'll do over the years...just do a course a semester or something

I was thinking of taking partial differential equations at some point and perhaps even some of what you mentioned. Even thinking about linear algebra but I wouldn't take any of these unless they are the only course I'm taking. Maybe something I'll do over the years...just do a course a semester or something

i'd recommand taking a mathematical modeling course if your interested

It's a lovely town, but I just wouldn't want to get downsloped on NE winds.

Don't forget when the power goes out, marauders break into your home to help with their drug fix. But yeah...I probably can't find any other place that has woods and a couple of brooks. 

Id like to see even 2-3 examples of this where you got snow and there was none here. Or even ORH got 12 and there was 3 at 1000k. I just don't think that happens. Never bought it and am sure you can't find any legit examples

January 17-19, 2010:

ORH: 8-10" of paste

Tolland: coating of sleet/snow before washed away by heavy rain

February 24, 2013:

ORH: 8" of snow

Tolland: trace

January 18, 2014:

ORH: 6" of snow

Tolland: goose eggs

That's only since 2010. Thanks for playing.

And neither of those are a result of downsloping lol.

It's called being too far south for qpf and/ or too warm

Nobody claimed downsloping causes you to get 0 snow vs 12"....you made that up. You just told me to give you examples of ORH getting blasted while you got nothing and I gave you 3.

Downsloping in general just eats away at your totals, it doesn't completely negate them...unless you are in a Dec '92 storm in the CT Valley or something, but those are rare. It's more like you get 7.5" instead of 10" or 8.6 instead of 11.0" or getting a marginal 32.2F heavy rain storm versus a crippling historic 31F ice storm...stuff like that.

Nobody claimed downsloping causes you to get 0 snow vs 12"....you made that up. You just told me to give you examples of ORH getting blasted while you got nothing and I gave you 3.

Downsloping in general just eats away at your totals, it doesn't completely negate them...unless you are in a Dec '92 storm in the CT Valley or something, but those are rare. It's more like you get 7.5" instead of 10" or 8.6 instead of 11.0" or getting a marginal 32.2F heavy rain storm versus a crippling historic 31F ice storm...stuff like that.

lol brutal.

It may not even be so much "downsloping" but more just that its not upsloping.  So you aren't getting that extra bit of cooling from forced ascent in the low levels.  Or like you said, it can be the difference between squeezing out 1.2" of QPF vs. 0.8".  That can happen here too where I live compared to like J.Spin which is right on the Spine axis, depending on the flow, inversion height, stuff like that.  Its not getting "screwed" per se, its just missing out on that extra lift sometimes.  Often you can't even tell on radar because its just low level seeder feeder processes cranking out just more efficient precipitation. 

lol brutal.

It may not even be so much "downsloping" but more just that its not upsloping.  So you aren't getting that extra bit of cooling from forced ascent in the low levels.  Or like you said, it can be the difference between squeezing out 1.2" of QPF vs. 0.8".  That can happen here too where I live compared to like J.Spin which is right on the Spine axis, depending on the flow, inversion height, stuff like that.  Its not getting "screwed" per se, its just missing out on that extra lift sometimes.  Often you can't even tell on radar because its just low level seeder feeder processes cranking out just more efficient precipitation.

Yeah very true...the lack of upslope is probably the bigger culprit in those differences versus any mild downsloping. In the ice storm in 2008, it was pretty crazy in that on the east slopes of the ORH hills, the huge icing went right down to the valley floors in KFIT and just NW of the 495 belt but when you went on the west side of the ORH hills, the icing was confined to elevations much higher.

Not all of that was upslope though in the truly adiabatic cooling sense, but the terrain itself was helping block the cold drain from Maine and eastern NH. It's one reason you had to go up to like 1200 feet in the Berkshires for big icing in that one. But there's no doubt that the upslope component helps. So often you'll see it icy on one side of the hills and the other side just doesn't have it. Even at same elevations along the east slope of ORH hills, I'll notice in very marginal setups that along the Princeton ridgeline up toward Westminster and sometimes extending down to Holden will be iced up while same elevation both north and south of them might not be...because that area seems to have the most efficient upslope cooling of anywhere along the east slope.

January 17-19, 2010:

ORH: 8-10" of paste

Tolland: coating of sleet/snow before washed away by heavy rain

February 24, 2013:

ORH: 8" of snow

Tolland: trace

January 18, 2014:

ORH: 6" of snow

Tolland: goose eggs

That's only since 2010. Thanks for playing.

lolol...love it

the last couple weekends i have been in Narragansett and all the locals and RI peeps are like..."omg our winter was bad but yours up in Springfield must have been just unbearable!" well it was but not for the reasons these people are thinking...in my head i am saying that you lucky fookers couldn't see down your street while I could see all the way across town...

bitter to the end...........

Ahh yes..I remember that storm. Somce of those storms were amid getting 2 hrs of sleep at night with my son so it's foggy at times. That was the eduggs fight too. :lol: 

"Kevin has a new chapter to write now in his ongoing book "The Nightmare of a Tolland Snow Weenie"...MLK 2010 finally will have a chapter after it."

My big, well established hydrangea is wilted.  Guess I can't put it off any longer.

Operation astronomical-second-quarter-water-bill has commenced.

I wish I had put in 1" mainline perimeter tubing when I started my irrigation system 15 years ago.   The half inch tubing was just so much easier to work with. :(

At least my town has ridiculous water pressure.  A garden hose is like a fire hydrant.

Archived