• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

I forgot to mention you in my post....I think you were WoodstockWx back then. :lol:

For NNEers, I mentioned powderfreak, but of course dendrite and Eek were there too. CoolSpruce and Will were the Maine posters...I think Tamarack posted at least back to early Eastern, and maybe WWBB...the other two Maine posters I haven't seen really since Eastern.

And of course all the mid-atlantic guys like Ji, stormtracker, zwyts, etc we always posted with since the boards were so much smaller with rarely more than 100 users on at once...sometimes up to 500 in a big storm. We all conversed in the same threads back then.

There were some fun times back then when we all interacted on a regular basis...some epic arguments as well.

Zonties was like Wiz on roids. Literally.

Does anyone still have the famous photo of Zonties measuring snow?

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were some fun times back then when we all interacted on a regular basis...some epic arguments as well.

Does anyone still have the famous photo of Zonties measuring snow?

Im trying to picture if the Mid-Atl, NYC and NE forums were combined today....man what a sh*t show that would be. Just epic, epic brawls.

Im trying to picture if the Mid-Atl, NYC and NE forums were combined today....man what a sh*t show that would be. Just epic, epic brawls.

That's exactly what is was going back through the various other boards, I've been on them since the late 90's.  You think there are arguments in just a region now over the rain/snow line you should've seen it back in the day.  I really hope someone has that old photo of Zonties, I sometimes think of it when I'm measuring snow myself.    

Oh yeah you think the regionalism in New England can get interesting with "look at the NNE'ers doing all they can to bring this north..." or "if I see another GC to Dendrite jackpot I'm going to lose it..." or "what do I have to do to get it to snow in Springfield?" Just imagine the threads with everyone from North Carolina to Maine all trying to root for snow. Every single model run was interpreted differently depending on the weenie googles on at the time.

But it was a lot of fun, too. The meltdowns were highly entertaining when someone else "stole" snow from another region.

That's exactly what is was going back through the various other boards, I've been on them since the late 90's. You think there are arguments in just a region now over the rain/snow line you should've seen it back in the day. I really hope someone has that old photo of Zonties, I sometimes think of it when I'm measuring snow myself.

Was this it?

771993A3-086A-4F60-973C-7AA876480C77_zps

Was this it?

771993A3-086A-4F60-973C-7AA876480C77_zps

I think it is. I forget exactly how much snow he was reporting but everyone was like WTF because it was so much higher than what anyone else was reporting. Zonties insisted he was correct and posted a photo of his yard stick showing the total, the only problem was that the yard stick was upside down. That's at least how I recall it, maybe some others remember this too. I seem to remember there was debate as to whether he did it on purpose or not. Either way, it was rather amusing at the time.

Wow . This is what happens after a powder snow winter and rainless spring

@StormFurey: What a Magnificent May Day!!! Soooo DRY!Arizona-like RH 17 percent at BDL. Some towns CT No Rain in over 3 weeks http://t.co/RrflkEWAQf

You can't possibly be trying to make the connection that dry fluffy snow in the winter is in any way related to the relative humidity today, lol.

You think if instead of having 4-6" of SWE in the snowpack in March, you had 7-8" it would've made any difference today?

You can't possibly be trying to make the connection that dry fluffy snow in the winter is in any way related to the relative humidity today, lol.

You think if instead of having 4-6" of SWE in the snowpack in March, you had 7-8" it would've made any difference today?

Meh, ORH (Tolland winter proxy after all) was above normal precip for DJF. Just slightly above if you toss in Morch. Pretty sure our winter had nothing to do with the current "dry" weather. But that wouldn't fit the debilitating drought narrative.

See, I started watching it and couldn't figure out if it was supposed to be funny, sad or what.  It must be more for the ADHD crowd which can't pay attention to anything for more than 2 seconds because it kept switching from one thing to another.  What is the way the guy was saying "these nuts"?  I just don't get what's supposed to be funny about that and I find a lot of things funny....just not that.

All of those originally showed up as stand alone clips, and were just combined into one long youtube video.  I dislike videos with fast clips, and cut aways.  Kind of like fast MTV style editing.  It annoys me to no end. 

It might have been better if he said "Dem Nutz".  I can't decide which is better.  I will have to spend a few hours thinking about this tonight.

Meh, ORH (Tolland winter proxy after all) was above normal precip for DJF. Just slightly above if you toss in Morch. Pretty sure our winter had nothing to do with the current "dry" weather. But that wouldn't fit the debilitating drought narrative.

A lot of mets on air and social media have been discussing exactly that. With the exception of the immediate BOS area where snows were wetter..they have been showing tables of how little moisture the snow contained which also was part of the reason why we didn't have a mud season

A lot of mets on air and social media have been discussing exactly that. With the exception of the immediate BOS area where snows were wetter..they have showing tables of how little moisture the snow contained which also was part of the reason why we didn't have a mud season

BOS got more rain in December, so congrats? Otherwise the differences between BOS and BDL for winter precip are pretty negligible. The ratios may have been high, but we still got average to above average liquid this winter, so your point holds no water. :flood:

Hanny just said on air this is the driest stretch in CT since Aug 1995. WOW

This is probably the reason it is dry, not the winter snow ratios.

BOS got more rain in December, so congrats? Otherwise the differences between BOS and BDL for winter precip are pretty negligible. The ratios may have been high, but we still got average to above average liquid this winter, so your point holds no water. :flood:

This is probably the reason it is dry, not the winter snow ratios.

Sorry

How Can We Have Drought Conditions After All That Snow? http://fw.to/cIdbUOQ 

A lot of mets on air and social media have been discussing exactly that. With the exception of the immediate BOS area where snows were wetter..they have been showing tables of how little moisture the snow contained which also was part of the reason why we didn't have a mud season

Chris just told your total precip for your winter residence was above normal, what in the Sam Hell would high snow ratios have to do with anything.

Sorry

Yea sorry

Drought can be defined in a lot of ways, and while this dry weather isn’t good for growing, the water table itself is still high and reservoirs are quite full. The Quabbin reservoir is nearly at capacity and not much under where it was this time in 2014

Chris just told your total precip for your winter residence was above normal, what in the Sam Hell would high snow ratios have to do with anything.

because if it was all powder..which it predominately was..it would not help with soil moisture. A similar thing that happens in the Rockies when they get all fluff  and then have water problems every summer

This is complete fodder.

Vermont gets a ton of light fluffy snows and has one of the more notorious mud seasons every year.  There's no correlation to that except if you just didn't have any snow on the ground or it melted out abnormally early or something.

You had a thick pack...and I bet anything your snow-water equivalent was higher than normal regardless of how fluffy you thought the snow was.

because if it was all powder..which it predominately was..it would not help with soil moisture. A similar thing that happens in the Rockies when they get all fluff  and then have water problems every summer

Kevin we don"t depend on snow pack for water levels, this isn't the Rockies, learn your climo

This is complete fodder.

Vermont gets a ton of light fluffy snows and has one of the more notorious mud seasons every year.  There's no correlation to that except if you just didn't have any snow on the ground or it melted out abnormally early or something.

You had a thick pack...and I bet anything your snow-water equivalent was higher than normal regardless of how fluffy you thought the snow was.

We had a mud season though, ask my wife after cleaning up after dirty paws for a week or two.

Sorry

I'm really not going to dig into Coop data, but that map shows BDL at 50% of average liquid, when it was in fact 0.06" above. BDR was 0.56" below, but considering it's climo driest time of year that can give you a 75% of normal value.

Archived