joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
RIP Scott S...AKA messenger AKA cweat AKA Clinch Leatherwood

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a huge loss. Really shaken by this news. Still pausing to wonder if it's actually true.

His posts were always intelligent, insightful, unique, often provocative, colorful and entertaining.

We butted heads about weather, about world politics, about sports. We PM'ed frequently over the years.

And he was one of several specific reasons this forum has been worth coming back to year after year.

I wish his family the best.

And hope he is weenieing out somewhere with an endless string of hugely positive-busting snowstorms.

For someone that I never met nor had any real contact with I will still miss his online presence very much. 

I remember him from his eastern days, in fact I posted even less there and when I did I was mistaken for him, (messenger) and lately I would look forward to figuring out his new screen name every season. It was easy after awhile since he would be the one posting about the canal constantly!  When he thought he was right he fought like a junkyard dog for his point and I respected him greatly for that.

I have "lost" several online "friends" over the years and it still shocks me as much as losing a highschool friend  or someone that I knew only through FB.  You miss not seeing that screen name or knowing that response was coming from that person. 

Take care of your online persona, it will be online for a very long time, maybe forever.

R.I.P. Messenger.

Was this a heart attack?  

Man - the thought of orphaning ones children ...rest of their family during really the prime of one's life.  I do not believe there is a passage that can be written, that can truly capture the essence of what the loss means.  

I did not know the man. But the ripples permeating the meme - there's a great disturbance in the force.   

Wow, I'm in absolute shock.

In all my years of lurking on here, Messenger was always there to pump the tires, or the breaks on a system. When he spoke, people listened because damn, he knew his stuff. He was the king of redeveloping clippers and south shore scrapers.

Always enjoyed his analysis and he brought a TON to this board. RIP. Gone to soon.

My first memory of Scott was back many a year ago (newx.newsgroup) He and Todd Gross were going back a forth about how much OES  would fall on the eastern shores in Massachusetts. Scott took Todd to school, an enduring memory. Peace and sincere condolences to his family. Deeply saddened, he will be missed and puts everything in perspective. 

I just went back and re-read some of the discussions that Scott and I had over the last few weeks.  Wow.  He really enjoyed this board, and the people, even if some of the disagreements between him and others were strong.  There was one particular storm where it seemed like he was getting crapped on quite a bit, and he went on and on with a great depth with regard to the fights that happen all while maintaining high respect for the board, the people, and his history here. He was very opinionated, and defended himself well, backing it up with data, and sheer knowledge, but the same time I could sense his respect for other hobbyists and pros alike.

I will go back in again, and if there are any meaningful quotes from him that others will appreciate I will be sure to post them. 

A truly well spoken man.

Damn, this is awful. F.ucking awful. 

The guy is a legend to me. I have been reading his wx analysis since the days of WWBB, and I have learned so much from him. I was stationed at the Coast Guard station on the canal, and I always knew exactly what he was describing when he posted about his local wx.

I am thankful I posted to him this season about my respect and gratitude for his excellent work here and his generosity in sharing his analysis. He was right on the money so, so many times.

So long, Messenger. This place won't be the same without you.

Someone please pin a thread with information about donations for his daughters. I'll be all over that.

Archived