• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

About 5.5" here. About three hours ago, I measured 6" in Cromwell a few miles north of here, so they probably have a couple of inches more.

Moderate snow now. Could pick up another inch or so, though the bands seem to be drying up rapidly on the radar.

Lots of tree damage. Somehow, we still have power, though branches are leaning heavily on the wires.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we walked to te plaza wit vincent's grocery store, dunkin donuts, and subway, to get dinner...subway and dd closed early...so i ad to buy food from vincents market...didn't see any liquor stores guess i didn't walk far enoug....

flakes increased in size...getting into a good band!

Behind Vincent's is a great little seafood joint. They have a small bar. Further up the street about 300 yards is another little plaza (across from Cumby's). That has a liquor store.

And I think the pharmacy across from Vincen't sells... I drive by there on my way to the mountain.

I just did a snow core water equivalent. I'm amazed, yet not amazed, at my ratios.

11pm

31F +SN

9.0" new snow

2.8" last hour

6hr water equiv = 0.48" :lol:

So I essentially just had a 20:1 6hr sample of 9". Not too shabby.

The board is now cleared so hopefully it keeps cranking.

I just did a snow core water equivalent. I'm amazed, yet not amazed, at my ratios.

11pm

31F +SN

9.0" new snow

2.8" last hour

6hr water equiv = 0.48" :lol:

So I essentially just had a 20:1 6hr sample of 9". Not too shabby.

The board is now cleared so hopefully it keeps cranking.

Yeah, this is pretty great stuff. I really expected wetter snow, and I am quite pleased.

Ha well yes there is. I can think of some other awesome weather events. Downslope mountain windstorms, Colorado Lows, Panhandle Hookers, Alberta Clippers w/ blowing snow, Arctic fronts, plains blizzards in general, Gulf Lows (Halloween Blizzard 1991), big mountain storms, high plains supercells (LPs), mountain waves, etc etc etc.

But yes, Nor'easters are one of my favorites because they can often times play off both the GOM semi-permanent baroclinic zone, Gulf stream semi-permanent baroclinic zone, moist convection, and moist latent heat release. Throw in the curvature of the East Coast, the non-linear track development of Nor'easters, the population along the track of Nor'easters, and the forecast challenge, and you have one of the coolest storm types in the US.

so what you're saying is, objectively and quantifiably, this is one of the craziest bad ass things that has ever (and will ever) happen? ;)

Ginx, gotta give you heavy congrats, you put your balls on the wall well before anyone else did and really nailed totals pretty much across the board. Granted you were low on the mega-jackpots in GC, but you were still double most people's calls. No one, not even Blizz would dare call for lolli's to 30-36".

Ginx, gotta give you heavy congrats, you put your balls on the wall well before anyone else did and really nailed totals pretty much across the board. Granted you were low on the mega-jackpots in GC, but you were still double most people's calls. No one, not even Blizz would dare call for lolli's to 30-36".

He missed on me...said 12-18"

Archived