• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

I hope we are far from done for the season wrt biggies, but this is hard to beat.

I have lived here for 13 years and have never seen snow on my deck rails like this. Unreal. Must be 16" just on those... will not tip over lol

Ginxy would love how the snow is sculpted on one rail... coming back towards me. Stunning. Looks like merangue

Just awesome. It looks awesome here with <5" so I can't imagine what it's like there.

SN here, hopefully we can keep increasing the rates so I can hit 8". The band of death is making some serious E progress now.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife has paid no attention to this storm other than the fact that it's taken up the last three days of my life. She just looked outside and said "that's a sh(tload of snow". i though it was very funny. I said this earlier--if this is the Halloween treat, what gifts might be in store for Christmas?

What neighborhood?

East Forest Park - maybe 7 houses away from June's tornado damage. (A neighbor had called and said she saw the tornado and my parents *didn't go to the basement*!)

Dave - I'm pretty sure they have the same landline as always. The number's stayed the same forever. My brother got them a cell phone but they hardly use it. I don't even know the number.

My hope if that they're either at my sister's or brother's house.

Thanks for asking!

-monadnocks

Just awesome. It looks awesome here with <5" so I can't imagine what it's like there.

SN here, hopefully we can keep increasing the rates so I can hit 8".

looks like things will be good for at least a few more houes. Hopefully 8" will be yours.

Man, MRG-land is just under a constant megaband... destroyed out there!

Well, lost power about an hour ago...so headed out to my boys halloweenie party in Dracut, since it's no funnie weening without power......it looks like a war zone....large tree branches cover roads....can't see them until you are right up on them...eye balling, about 5" here in Dracut...gonna rip some brews and get nude

Dropping like a stone now...

CF was preceded by a huge gust of wind. Temp has dropped over a degree in the last 2 minutes and rain has changed to snow.

37.0/36.....and dropping

Here it comes, bob

Yee of little faith :)

Better a little late than never. Storm did a little wobble north which held that r/s line but it's crashing fast now. Will take a NNW direction to get it to 3a, but that's coming.

Well--I made my last measurement of the night. And the answer is........21.9". In less than 9 hours. Second only to the 23" in 9 hours I had in 2001. Absolutely, completely, and thankfullly righteous. Will pick a bit more, but I've been up since 4:00a.m. to see the devastation of the eastward shift of the models. Guess I could have slept instead:)

A top 10 storm by any standard I can come up with.

Best of luck to all as this band rotates through.

28.9/28

shock and awe

Been watching radar here in Newton for thepast 5 hours in complete frutration as we have been stuck in the subsidence between the deformation bands. Nothing but very light snow here all night...grass coated but not much more...a foot of snow 30 miles west of here...damn. Better luck next storm...you live and die by those bands...if you are not under them your totals will be cut by 75%.

is there any other kind of weather besides noreasters? I guess there is upslope but besides that?

Ha well yes there is. I can think of some other awesome weather events. Downslope mountain windstorms, Colorado Lows, Panhandle Hookers, Alberta Clippers w/ blowing snow, Arctic fronts, plains blizzards in general, Gulf Lows (Halloween Blizzard 1991), big mountain storms, high plains supercells (LPs), mountain waves, etc etc etc.

But yes, Nor'easters are one of my favorites because they can often times play off both the GOM semi-permanent baroclinic zone, Gulf stream semi-permanent baroclinic zone (the only US storm type to play off both except maybe Apps Runners), moist convection, and moist latent heat release. Throw in the curvature of the East Coast, the non-linear track development of Nor'easters, the population along the track of Nor'easters, and the forecast challenge, and you have one of the coolest storm types in the US.

You could have walked to a decent liquor store from the motel... right in the town center (there are at least 2 there)

Heading to Wachusett Sunday? Sledding should be epic

we walked to te plaza wit vincent's grocery store, dunkin donuts, and subway, to get dinner...subway and dd closed early...so i ad to buy food from vincents market...didn't see any liquor stores guess i didn't walk far enoug....

flakes increased in size...getting into a good band!

East Forest Park - maybe 7 houses away from June's tornado damage. (A neighbor had called and said she saw the tornado and my parents *didn't go to the basement*!)

Dave - I'm pretty sure they have the same landline as always. The number's stayed the same forever. My brother got them a cell phone but they hardly use it. I don't even know the number.

My hope if that they're either at my sister's or brother's house.

Thanks for asking!

-monadnocks

That area up through the X, down towards Cooley (on the south side of Watershops Pond) was among the first to lose power today....around 4:30 or so. Hope they are okay as well. The tree damage here in Chicopee is pretty extensive...just had half a pine miss our house by inches.....our backyard is littered. Never seen anything like it.

Archived