joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kills me to have missed the good banding yet again.....blows. Like Boxing day all over.

This area wasn't under the best area for banding regardless. You also used up QPF in the rain too. If it were a month or two from now, we'd be ripping as we would have had the DGZ in the area of frontogeneic forcing. But the lift occurred under the DGZ since this was a warmer airmass in Autumn and you had to get to the very strong frontogenesis out west that forced a good lift spike into the DGZ.

Give it a chance. I know you have that dryslot over now, but that band should deliver.

665k out of power for CL&P - closing in on Irene, heavy heavy damage. Basically the whole northern 1/3 of the state is without power, Blizz ftw.

TollandKev Kevin Once in a lifetime Ocotber storm. Damage will be vast and widespread17 hours ago Favorite Retweet Replyphoto-885_normal.jpgTollandKev Kevin Prepare for death and destruction. This is a life threatening situation17 hours ago

EDIT: Forgot this one

TollandKev Kevin Prep for extended power outages. Irene esque. Yes very possible28 Oct

Good call by kev.

664K CL&P customers currently without power. Surpasses Irene as the #1 power loss event in CT history.

Wow.

Just wow.

By the looks of the roads this afternoon, I think the storm caught everyone off guard. It was to the point where a single cop had to drive along the highway and start pulling branches off the road so cars could get by.

No plows or snow crews in sight

665k out of power for CL&P - closing in on Irene, heavy heavy damage. Basically the whole northern 1/3 of the state is without power, Blizz ftw.

TollandKev Kevin Once in a lifetime Ocotber storm. Damage will be vast and widespread17 hours ago Favorite Retweet Replyphoto-885_normal.jpgTollandKev Kevin Prepare for death and destruction. This is a life threatening situation17 hours ago

Irene was just 640K at peak for CL&P. Combined with UI may have been more but I'm not 100% sure

Wow.

Just wow.

By the looks of the roads this afternoon, I think the storm caught everyone off guard. It was to the point where a single cop had to drive along the highway and start pulling branches off the road so cars could get by.

Nobody was ready for this......can't fault CL&P as much for this one as Irene, but the public PR battle that's about to ensue is not going to be pretty.

A hair over 23" here. This may be a little conservative due to compaction. I didn't exactly follow the meticulous snow board method. Still snowing light to moderate. Death band may be gone, but it's still going pretty good. Small flakes still really acting to reduce the vis to a 1/2 mile at times. Probably pick up another 2 inches or so before it's done around 4 AM. Simply an incredible storm, even for mid-winter standards. Not likely we'll see anything like this again in October anytime soon. Pics in the morning.

Wow.

Just wow.

I doubt this caught anybody "off-guard". DOT's only have so many resources. Interstates and large highways get first treatment. Most DOT's have their own road weather forecast companies and many also consult the NWS in some way. This wasn't a surprise storm or anything, just a beast.

Probably not but I'll check in 20 mins. I'll probably score between 1-2" this past hour. You are absolutely getting pummeled again and may get over 20". This banding over our region was similar to 1/12, but setup just a little bit further south. You're essentially in the position I was for that storm.

The HRRR has a little over 0.50" more here after 4z (12am) through 9z. Those 0.10"/hr w.e. rates would be easily 1-2"/hr through 3-4am. Maybe it's off its rocker, but we'll see. I never thought I'd see over a foot in October.

Its a good band probably my favorite ever minus loosing power but whatever have the woodstove cranking, a car charger, and 3g coverage. And yes I am getting pummeled again prob estimating without floodlight but looks like an inch in the last twenty or so.

Ahh gotcah, CT_Rain (Ryan) mentioned that it peaked at 700k, not sure which was the top but it looks like it'll probably peak higher either way.

UI only has about 12K out right now as they're mostly on the shore.... but for CL and P territory, this is their record. Most of the outages this time are clustered in the northern and western ends of the state.

Fortunately, there might be more mutual aid available from RI and Eastern MA this time.....we can hope.

Archived