• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

Are you joking? There was zero media coverage until yesterday. Weather.com still said rain showers. We all knew about it, but no one on TV was saying it. Everyone was denying it.

Interesting. I guess I don't know how CTDOT conducts business, but given the lead time and media attention I am surprised they could have been caught off guard.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to suggest black brook next. impressive snow growth by them down there. Snow up here is so compacted. It should be very interesting to see what the final report comes in as.

Looking at the outage map...glad I didn't try to go up Rockland and dump off into Foxboro. Tree snapzilla in Foxboro.

Great storm, crazy. 32.9 snowing moderately here, roads, grass, cars covered. 3 snowballs in the freezer so the kids can have at it for a bit in the morning and hopefully a quick dawn sled down the hill.

3 1/2 inches here in Attleboro on the ground as of 4:15 AM. 32.5/32. Currently snowing moderately. Just shook branches of a maple tree limb that was leaning over wife's car, moved and saved the car. Good thing I'm up all night for these events! This will be the last time she complains I stay up all night, very grateful for saving the car.

3 1/2 inches here in Attleboro on the ground as of 4:15 AM. 32.5/32. Currently snowing moderately. Just shook branches of a maple tree limb that was leaning over wife's car, moved and saved the car. Good thing I'm up all night for these events! This will be the last time she complains I stay up all night, very grateful for saving the car.

I wish you would have gotten more out of this, but it feels great to beat the pants off Attleboro, lol.

Everything covered here at home. I really got out of dodge just in time. It must be an absolute nightmare in Easton, Sharon, Norton, Brockton etc right now.

The r/s line diddled around 495/24 for quite some time. When it finally moved, it moved fast. At least in the car thermo the mix line set in at about 37. The mix zone was narrow, maybe 2 tenths of a mile. Temps dove from 37 36 35 and at 33 it would go to a heavy snow. This held suit all the way down to the water here in Plymouth. At first the line was moving maybe 5-10 mph SE, once it really got on its horse it was going faster than I could drive. You can see it rushing east now towards Phil.

I did a good thing tonight in helping an old friend. Old being the operative word. As it turns out I got to enjoy the snow the whole way, and arrived home to moderate snow. I will never again in my lifetime drive through mod-heavy snow in SE MA before Halloween as part of a snowstorm. It just won't happen. Glad I got to witness the change line.

I doubt we will hear from some of these guys for days on end. If Easton was that bad at 11-12 with 1" of snow...yikes with 3-6"

37 is what I witnessed too for mix line. It finally changed over to all snow at 36.5.

I wish you would have gotten more out of this, but it feels great to beat the pants off Attleboro, lol.

Its October and IMHO it is all a gift if its greater than a dusting or an inch. Its been snowing here since 8:30 PM dry slotted for a good chunk of time, intensity rate not enough to keep up with the melting. Overall I'm still in shock over this event.

Are you joking? There was zero media coverage until yesterday. Weather.com still said rain showers. We all knew about it, but no one on TV was saying it. Everyone was denying it.

Pretty much the perfect storm for october that came together!

unless you're a true snow weenie watching every model run again (with a weenie qpf fetish - me) like i have for this area the last 7 days that's 15 hrs away i could easily see how there was a pretty meh and w/e hype for this storm . there is some insane snow numbers out there and the NWS and pro METS on this board just can't throw ctblizz worst case scenario clown #'s out a few days in advance that have fallen in areas.. then there is the power outages that were almost a given without the charlie brown weak tree's that seem to be lined out there and the pudding was cacked on the wall with nothing to do about it.. I just pray everybody is and remains safe and sound from falling branches and tree's and nobody kills themselves shoveling snow that will be gone in 90% of the area in a week. There is definitely worse ways to go tho lol - :axe:

Best storm I have followed and will be dam near impossible to beat on the board. Then again the weather sure has been tossing out treats for the past 3 yrs so who knows!

The storm on Thursday got more hype than this, and that was just some flurries. =\

Pretty much the perfect storm for october that came together!

unless you're a true snow weenie watching every model run again (with a weenie qpf fetish - me) like i have for this area the last 7 days that's 15 hrs away i could easily see how there was a pretty meh and w/e hype for this storm . there is some insane snow numbers out there and the NWS and pro METS on this board just can't throw ctblizz worst case scenario clown #'s out a few days in advance that have fallen in areas.. then there is the power outages that were almost a given without the charlie brown weak tree's that seem to be lined out there and the pudding was cacked on the wall with nothing to do about it.. I just pray everybody is and remains safe and sound from falling branches and tree's and nobody kills themselves shoveling snow that will be gone in 90% of the area in a week. There is definitely worse ways to go tho lol - :axe:

Best storm I have followed and will be dam near impossible to beat on the board. Then again the weather sure has been tossing out treats for the past 3 yrs so who knows!

Good morning everyone... a foot here in West Hartford... shotgun blasts going off all night.

This will be our 2008 ORH ice storm.

Many just west of here have 15-22".

East of the river toward Kevin lucked out a bit with less accumulation.

Getting ripped here. I still can't believe it's OCT. It's easy to imagine that's it's January until you walk outside and hear oak leaves rustling in the wind, lol.

5am

31.9F -SN

19.0" new snow

2.5" since 6z/2am (feels weird doing this with the 4hr diff between EDT and GMT)

Last 6hr sample had 10.0" on the nose with 0.66" liquid. That's a total of 19.0" on 1.14" liquid. I doubt there'll be enough to push me to an even 20", but this was ridiculous nonetheless.

5am

31.9F -SN

19.0" new snow

2.5" since 6z/2am (feels weird doing this with the 4hr diff between EDT and GMT)

Last 6hr sample had 10.0" on the nose with 0.66" liquid. That's a total of 19.0" on 1.14" liquid. I doubt there'll be enough to push me to an even 20", but this was ridiculous nonetheless.

How much did it compact out of curiosity?How much OTG?

5am

31.9F -SN

19.0" new snow

Comparatively...at 9z CON had exactly 1.14" liquid too at the ASOS.

This was funny too..

... Record daily maximum snowfall set at Concord NH...

A record snowfall of 13.6 inches was set at Concord NH yesterday.

This breaks the old record of 0.2 set in 1952.

That's impressive. Wow..lol.

This snow was weatter than I thought..esp from ORH to Kevin.

Someone needs to do a post-mortem. Do we know how much Kevin got yet? I saw KORH had 11.3" for the calendar day yesterday so they made out well considering the best banding stalled to their NW. Did Ray jump off the Tobin?

Someone needs to do a post-mortem. Do we know how much Kevin got yet? I saw KORH had 11.3" for the calendar day yesterday so they made out well considering the best banding stalled to their NW. Did Ray jump off the Tobin?

Kevin had 10" around 12:30 or so. He probably got just shy of a foot.

We had 12" in West Hartford but I bet if I measured better it would have been a touch higher.

We got DS'd up here too for a time. When I last talked to him..he said 9-10", so maybe Kev got a foot?

Archived