12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, remember I noted that last evening....FU slot right over us.

While it was apparent that the obscene banding would be west, you can't predict those meso peturbations.

Nope, but I also did learn a few lessons about these early season events. We would have done well if it were winter and the lower levels colder. However, lift below the DGZ this time of year won't always cut it..especially with temps borderline in the lower elevations. Even as the DS came through..we had decent precip rates thanks to the inflow at lower levels.

That DS was from the band to the se that was more low level driven (not necessarily CF) and ahead of the mega band to the west. I gotta say..that banding out west was forecasted pretty well.

I would have gone to Will's had I known that would happen.

Nice call by BOX.

I started getting bullish in my mind for you, yesterday morning, but my thoughts the day before turned out better than what I thought in the morning..lol.Little disappointed in BOS. I was kind of skeptical for my area and it turned out even worse than I thought. Man if this were 1 month later.

Nope, but I also did learn a few lessons about these early season events. We would have done well if it were winter and the lower levels colder. However, lift below the DGZ this time of year won't always cut it..especially with temps borderline in the lower elevations. Even as the DS came through..we had decent precip rates thanks to the inflow at lower levels.

That DS was from the band to the se that was more low level driven (not necessarily CF) and ahead of the mega band to the west. I gotta say..that banding out west was forecasted pretty well.

This reminded me of last season's finale in early April...just never could quite get going.

That banding signal was fantastic. You knew wherever it set up it was going to rip.

I love wind, blizzards, etc....but put me under one of those bands, and there is nothing like it. Been a while since I was truly under one for a long period of time.

Plainfield spotter just to the north comes in at 27.8", My last measurent last night was 27" so that seems about right. All in about a 10hr onslaught. Sick band, I bet at times it was in excess of 3-4" per hour.

I love wind, blizzards, etc....but put me under one of those bands, and there is nothing like it. Been a while since I was truly under one for a long period of time.

As I told you, I turned into a convective junkie, but when you're pouring snowflakes under one of those bands it's pretty awesome.

When I left the office and that band was parked over KCON, and reports out of western Mass had people cracking double digits already I knew we were in trouble (i.e. busting low on the forecast).

I have nothing to gain by a misrepresentation of measure. 292ft will do that especially in elevation dependent storms. alex from around the bend will validate.

you must be in a great spot. I am 151ft so I guess an extra 140 ft in this storm probably made a difference... cool, I can't wait for the next storm to track.

Just got a 3g signal back, cell towers must have been down or had to be switched to generator?

Lost power for good around 10pm. 40% of Greenfield down but hill towns are 100% out.

At 2am we had around 14-15" which has settled to about 12".

Last night was nuts with trees snapping sounding like gunfire every 2 minutes or less. SN/SN+ from 4pm to about 2am.

Absolute devastation out here. Trees down everywhere. Yard is trashed, can't get out back door right now due to big maple branch.

Wind just starting to gust, thankfully it was calm last night.

Greenfield DPW guy said it is surreal all around Franklin Co. War zone were his words.

Thankfully I've got wood stove and a 10kw generator.

I'll try to get pics up later.

Archived