Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to call it 24" for a total here. Tough to measure with some drifting and settling, but this seems like a good enough average. Simply incredible that most of it fell in an 8 hour period from 3 PM to 11 PM. This storm will be a classic to be remembered for years to come. It will probably take a week to melt a lot of this snow, especially if we go subfreezing at night.

The fact your report mentions drifting in Oct blows me away. I am in absolute awe.

My mom in Sharon, CT says she has about 15" on the ground, although she is not nearly as particular as I am about measurements. An incredible weather event for sure.... I am very worried that she will run out of gas for her generator.

Judging what I went through with Irene, if you can get her out of there it would be a good thing. Those areas with complete outages are in for a shock.

Judging what I went through with Irene, if you can get her out of there it would be a good thing. Those areas with complete outages are in for a shock.

Yeah, I wish I could, there is not much I can do for her living here in FL. They have plenty of food and firewood, and are running the generator 1 hour and then turning off another hour. She said they might have to figure out how to siphon the gas out of their cars... unreal if so...

Damn the sun came out and it just rained melting snow , still only 35 degrees though, incredible cold. Low 20 s tonight, feel real bad for the million plus folks without power. Just up the road has no power. I tried texting Kev again, do not know if he has cell service but the images I am seeing on Ryan's station in regards to devastation are unreal.

Yeah... gas lines, people stranded, no cell phones, by far the most severe damage to power infrastructure in recent memory. Much worse than Irene.

Just awesome.

New Hampshire

... Belknap County...

3 SSE Gilford 20.0 637 am 10/30

Laconia 13.0 459 am 10/30

... Merrimack County...

Concord ASOS 22.2 704 am 10/30

Northfield 19.1 645 am 10/30

Bow 19.0 138 am 10/30

1 SSE Henniker 15.0 1203 am 10/30

Salisbury 13.0 646 am 10/30

2 E North Pembroke 10.0 1057 PM 10/29

Good thing Scott is in KEYW. Laconia got relatively screwed by the warm lake and he probably would've too based on his temps that I saw last night (never lower than 33F I believe). It was just cold enough here to preserve those high ratios for the entire storm.

About 6" in Plymouth. If I was cut off from all other information, I would say awesome! But it hurts so much to see these reports of 15-25" just south of here.

I am just speechless though. There's no way to fully express the historical magnitude of this storm!

Congratulations Ski. You got 30" Total? With 26" Compact? That is maybe the most impressive snow stat I've ever seen in SNE. 30" in October.

So when will the records start piling in of Where this falls in people's list of All-Time Greatest Snowstorms?? I can't. No power. Phone at 16%. I will when I have the chance since I'm the Records Man.

The damage to the trees here is Cryable. It's Bad. CN Mountain lost some old friends here. This is the Worst Damage I can ever remember here. 8". And WORSE than the 30" April Fool's Day Blizzard.

Musically and Snowily -

"The Snowman" with Taps playing for the fallen today.

Going to call it 24" for a total here. Tough to measure with some drifting and settling, but this seems like a good enough average. Simply incredible that most of it fell in an 8 hour period from 3 PM to 11 PM. This storm will be a classic to be remembered for years to come. It will probably take a week to melt a lot of this snow, especially if we go subfreezing at night.

I'm guessing 24" here as well. I had 21,9 when I measured about 11:00p.m. The radar was still promising at that point so I knew I'd be picking up more. But there was a lot of blowing during the overnight. I'm leaving the 11:00p.m. 21.9" post to BOX as my last post, so I guess that's my official total. In reality, I probably was around 24".

Just finished the driveway and half have the deck cleared. Daughter built a great snowman. Football in a few hours. All we need is another snowy to track. :)

Nope, but I also did learn a few lessons about these early season events. We would have done well if it were winter and the lower levels colder. However, lift below the DGZ this time of year won't always cut it..especially with temps borderline in the lower elevations. Even as the DS came through..we had decent precip rates thanks to the inflow at lower levels.

That DS was from the band to the se that was more low level driven (not necessarily CF) and ahead of the mega band to the west. I gotta say..that banding out west was forecasted pretty well.

We need you to keep forecasting that throughout the winter, Scott. :)

Back from VT and at my friends in NH right now. INCREDIBLE time in VT. We lost power too and it made for a great time. got around 10'' or so up at the cabin. We had a little trouble getting down the mountain as we got stuck a few times but we made it down. Luckily someone who went had a truck so my friend just parked at the bottom of the mountain yesterday. I looked at PNS reports and HOLY ****. Just incredible.

I want to not believe the PNS reports, but they are real. I'd like to know about that 31.4, but I suppose it was real given the banding there.

I don't think it was overmeasurement....I had close to 25" without using the 6-hour measuring technique, and the banding was better to the west as that mega-band just rutted from Dutchess/Columbia Counties in interior E NY to the Berkshires. They were under 35-40dbz returns for hours.

Archived