SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
RIP Scott S...AKA messenger AKA cweat AKA Clinch Leatherwood

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm stunned and deeply saddened like all of you.

Knew him from the WWBB days during the epic winter of 2005 - I lived in Boston that winter, and what a winter for soaking up his insight. He had an uncanny ability to forecast very short term weather from radar trends before the HRRRs of the world were in vogue.

And of course, I'll never forget the event where he went ballistic on the NWS for their snow totals reporting. He drove all around his region snapping photos and declaring a conspiracy. Classic messenger.

The guy also wasn't afraid to take his own stance, in weather or otherwise.

Rip Scott.

Even though I don't know him personally, I am greatly saddened by the loss of a great contributor to this forum. Always knew what he was talking about and would never be hurtful or try and put himself over others. He went way too soon. May he rest in peace and my greatest condolences go out to his wife and kids. 

Wow. Very sad news. He was very analytical and really knew his stuff. I still remember one storm in particular, maybe a couple of years back, where Noyes was going balls to the wall along with most over models until the 0z nam came out that night and went the other way. Typical NAM, right? Scott analyzed the NAM and and concluded that it was on to something, basically pulling the plug on the storm. Most here thought he was crazy based on the NAM. He ended up being right. He will be missed. RIP Messenger!

RIP Polar Vortex. I have always been kind of a lurker and did not know him, but I looked forward to his posts on here and at Eastern. I dreaded when he went bearish on a snowstorm. He was extremely knowledgable and a joy to read. This current event is in bad need of his analysis, and I got a sick feeling reading this news when I realized he was missing from the discussion. Prayers to his family

He just nailed the blizzard from a day and a half out trackwise, i will never forget that. His enthusiasm upon recieving 30 inches of snow was memorable. and unique.His posting seemed on point and remarkably sincere, he was one of my favorite posters. My most sincere condolenses to his family and may God watch over them.

Wow. This is just horrible. I am just in shock and speechless. He was such a great guy. I remember a few years back i got into a fight in this subforum and i was pissed but out of the blue someone i had never met or interacted with before, sent me a beautiful PM and calmed me down. After that we PM'd quite a bit for a while. My condolences to his wife, kids and entire family. What a great man and im sure even better husband and father. RIP Scott, you will be missed greatly.  :cry:  :cry:

I think he posted yesterday or the day before about how amazing this winter had been, he seemed genuinely stunned by it all. 

I will look at like this, he would disappear every spring an not be seen online until the next snow threat the following season for the most part and I will just think he doesn't see anything worth posting about.

For someone that I never met nor had any real contact with I will still miss his online presence very much. 

I remember him from his eastern days, in fact I posted even less there and when I did I was mistaken for him, (messenger) and lately I would look forward to figuring out his new screen name every season. It was easy after awhile since he would be the one posting about the canal constantly!  When he thought he was right he fought like a junkyard dog for his point and I respected him greatly for that.

I have "lost" several online "friends" over the years and it still shocks me as much as losing a highschool friend  or someone that I knew only through FB.  You miss not seeing that screen name or knowing that response was coming from that person. 

Take care of your online persona, it will be online for a very long time, maybe forever.

R.I.P. Messenger.

This is very well said.  I'm mainly a lurker here, but am much more involved at various other boards, and have lost many online "friends" over the years (including one very recently), some who I knew personally and some I did not, and it's a very strange feeling of loss that is hard to describe, except to those who spend so much time on a message board or forum like this.  I've spent a lot of time thinking about why I come back to thinking about these folks I don't know even more than folks who I have known in "real life."  I think it's like you said, that response you are waiting for, knowing that they are out there reading something you wrote, paying attention to your opinions and thoughts. 

I didn't know Scott at all, and I know just as little about the weather, but I've read thousands of posts that he's written over the years, and no matter what anyone says, you can get to know someone and learn about them through this medium.  He was a passionate, intelligent guy, and this is just tragic news.

I will say that over the years, there have been many funds set up for the families of posters on boards, and generous donations made, and while the families don't always know or sometimes understand where it's coming from, they appreciate the hell out of it, so hopefully, someone will get the information and post it here and folks will do what they can.  As a 38 year old father of two, this stuff really does shake you to the core.  RIP. 

This is very well said. I'm mainly a lurker here, but am much more involved at various other boards, and have lost many online "friends" over the years (including one very recently), some who I knew personally and some I did not, and it's a very strange feeling of loss that is hard to describe, except to those who spend so much time on a message board or forum like this. I've spent a lot of time thinking about why I come back to thinking about these folks I don't know even more than folks who I have known in "real life." I think it's like you said, that response you are waiting for, knowing that they are out there reading something you wrote, paying attention to your opinions and thoughts.

I didn't know Scott at all, and I know just as little about the weather, but I've read thousands of posts that he's written over the years, and no matter what anyone says, you can get to know someone and learn about them through this medium. He was a passionate, intelligent guy, and this is just tragic news.

I will say that over the years, there have been many funds set up for the families of posters on boards, and generous donations made, and while the families don't always know or sometimes understand where it's coming from, they appreciate the hell out of it, so hopefully, someone will get the information and post it here and folks will do what they can. As a 38 year old father of two, this stuff really does shake you to the core. RIP.

this place was here for me at my darkest hour and my family was astonished that some anonymous folks on the internet cared enough to contribute towards a memorial scholarship in my late daughters name. Its more than just a board after years and years of interaction it's an online family with all the good and bad that comes with family. Scotts last personal message to me defined him. Going to really miss our interactions and his analysis.

Archived