joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9-10 Storm Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rain and 33° F here. Downslope flow on easterly winds is warming up the boundary layer just enough. I just can't get freezing rain here. The Decemeber 2008 ice storm was a 33° F rainer as well. The webcams up in Peru and Woodford look icy, so no snow there either.

I absolutely busted on my forecast for everyone, but especially for your area

We've had a nontrivial icing event down here in the valley.  The lawns are frosted over, there's a couple tenths accretion on the trees, and the driveway was more slippery than I've seen in during a FZ event in the past ten years.  We've had events with more accretion on trees over the past few years, but this morning was the most I've seen on paved surfaces in quite a while.  The temp has only just ticked up the 33F.

I've heard of several traffic accidents/falls today.  We weren't even under an advisory until late last night, so I think people were taken by surprise.

We've had a nontrivial icing event down here in the valley.  The lawns are frosted over, there's a couple tenths accretion on the trees, and the driveway was more slippery than I've seen in during a FZ event in the past ten years.  We've had events with more accretion on trees over the past few years, but this morning was the most I've seen on paved surfaces in quite a while.  The temp has only just ticked up the 33F.

I've heard of several traffic accidents/falls today.  We weren't even under an advisory until late last night, so I think people were taken by surprise.

It seems like the valley around Middletown and down to Higganum held the cold even better than we did in HFD/BDL. Really impressive this morning. 

We managed 0.05" of accretion here and then were done but everything was crusted (lawn, trees, etc) - what do you think the total accretion was?

It seems like the valley around Middletown and down to Higganum held the cold even better than we did in HFD/BDL. Really impressive this morning. 

We managed 0.05" of accretion here and then were done but everything was crusted (lawn, trees, etc) - what do you think the total accretion was?

I didn't get a chance to measure, but was eyeballing a couple of tenths?  I make no claim to be an accurate accretion estimator.  I did take this lame cell phone photograph this morning.  Perhaps it is enough to give you a sense?  The greater Middletown/Meriden area seems to have at least one event per year we're much icier than almost all surrounding areas.  I remember one of our biggest icestorms in the middle of January 2011 (the 18th?) seemed extremely localized.

post-2015-0-54830400-1418144681_thumb.jp

Archived