SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec 9-10 Storm Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

19 degrees with a light north wind. It's too bad the QPF with this won't be that great, any rainstorm under 3" is meh for flooding depending on how quick/slow it comes down. Maybe onshore winds/tides can help if I get lucky.

Oh, and I've got some snow grains bouncing around outside, light coating on parts of the yard and car.

Pretty rare that you see the EURO off by 9 degrees on a 6 hour prog, 12z euro has BOS at 32 at 1 PM and dry, they're 23 and have had SN- for 4 of the last 5 obs. Won't mean much later aside from maybe a brief period at the start of the precip because mid level warmth will still be our problem, but still pretty rare that you see the EURO off by that much at such a close range.

Pushing the envelope of what we can cal flurries, but not really SN- yet. 23 degrees.

SPC shows that 0c 850 line creeping into Southern and Sw boston burbs now  http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=16&parm=850mb&underlay=1&source=1

, got to be careful that areas close to coast don't flip to a freezing drizzle in low 20's for evening commute. That would be a dis as tah Scott/Will. I mean are we a little bit concerned about eve commute for some icy areas near city

SPC shows that 0c 850 line creeping into Southern and Sw boston burbs now  http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=16&parm=850mb&underlay=1&source=1

, got to be careful that areas close to coast don't flip to a freezing drizzle in low 20's for evening commute. That would be a dis as tah Scott/Will. I mean are we a little bit concerned about eve commute for some icy areas near city

anything that falls this evening / tn is really low lvl, mostly below 900 mb. Below the subsidence inversion the column slowly saturates due to the onshore wind, so 850 isn't too important right now (if the 850 lvl became saturated it would be below freezing anyway after wetbulbing). The issue is where it is saturated in the low lvls (below ~875-900 mb tonight), temps aloft will warm just above the threshold for formation of ice crystals (sea salt helps increase nucleation temp a couple degrees) --> snow, and then you get freezing drizzle / snizzle / mist instead

Archived