Dec 9-10 Storm Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice map man

The good stuff however is not pushing in for a while

Thanks pick.

I make my own grid maps with the help of grads, been working on model runs with a home-grown touch. Just basing that good-stuff comment on the blossoming returns to the SW.

ICE is going to become an issue I think if the models are anywhere close to  the ML warming. 

Thanks pick.

I make my own grid maps with the help of grads, been working on model runs with a home-grown touch. Just basing that good-stuff comment on the blossoming returns to the SW.

ICE is going to become an issue I think if the models are anywhere close to  the ML warming. 

Ice has been something I have been extremely worried about for the AM commute. I think there is potential for an all out nightmare outside  128 to 495 (as well as North on 93)  commuters...you could prob tuck that in toward Western Waltham and Lexington as well.

If I could set o/u for accidents it would probably be off the charts.

Coastal front will make a little headway along the immediate coast between 1-4am, however, between 4am and 7am interior temps hold strongly below 0 and there is not much budge.

WRF BTV Around 7am, Springfield and Hartford are both below 30F. In addition to the far ne corner of CT over to northern RI and up to and outside of 128 of BOS. The western and northern suburbs of Boston look to still be cold.

It is between 7am and 10am the cold retreats with only the berks and orh county staying below 30f @ 10am.

Mid levels seem pretty damn cold on the wrf too.

It's going to be damned close Jay. W burbs by that yes. Interesting toward mid-state Conn Rvr basin is depicted as holding to ice also.

This close in I would not expect this model to be that far off.

Hires are really interesting. Previous model runs in recent days really plowed warmth near 850 right into NH. They've all backed off on that idea. North of the pike and particularly into nh and vt hover right around 0c for a good time tomorrow. A small error here or there will result in big localized differences. I'd continue to feel really good from Dendrite over to our friends in Maine.

Real problem seems to be just aloft and below 850 that really torches sne as the winds turn.

What's falling?

Just went out to check (lol), it's a light rain, but surfaces that were covered in snow seem more slushy than icy. My street and sidewalk are just about covered in what appears to be a slush/ice mixture. If temp climb continues as heavier precip moves in then icing should be less of an issue here, but any drops or finer precip could create an issue.

I'm pretty close to salem at my place and west Peabody tends to be a degree or two cooler than here, I wonder how much of a difference that's making with icing.

Just went out to check (lol), it's a light rain, but surfaces that were covered in snow seem more slushy than icy. My street and sidewalk are just about covered in what appears to be a slush/ice mixture. If temp climb continues as heavier precip moves in then icing should be less of an issue here, but any drops or finer precip could create an issue.

I'm pretty close to salem at my place and west Peabody tends to be a degree or two cooler than here, I wonder how much of a difference that's making with icing.

Side roads are pretty horrific here. I hate to say skating rink, but thats the way my parking lot is now.

KLWM 090854Z AUTO 35004KT 3SM -FZRA BR OVC004 M03/M04

Side roads are pretty horrific here. I hate to say skating rink, but thats the way my parking lot is now.

KLWM 090854Z AUTO 35004KT 3SM -FZRA BR OVC004 M03/M04

Seems like there'll be a lot of people around the region playing bumper cars trying to get to work this morning. Ideally I'll be at a heavier rain in a few hours, driving through the square is nightmarish enough without humans trying to figure out how to navigate ice.

31, light (freezing) rain continues.

By midday yesterday it was pretty clear this would happen. Not sure if people were unprepared or what.

Finally up yo 30 here.

It's 32 here..so we're close to being out of the woods..but last night when that freezing drizzle started you got the feeling many towns would be in trouble. This was one of those deals with the road surfaces so cold..they should have pre treated..Usually that's a waste..but in this instance it wouldn't have been

Archived