• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9-10 Storm Observation Thread

dryslot

According to Google Traffic, part of 93 SB is closed due to an accident between 3A and 89.

Edit: looks like as I typed that it cleared up.

Guess I should look outside.. that's my hood

edit: yeah it is bad, the salt treated surfaces are wet, but untreated is pure ice.. They look the same too.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rain and 33° F here. Downslope flow on easterly winds is warming up the boundary layer just enough. I just can't get freezing rain here. The Decemeber 2008 ice storm was a 33° F rainer as well. The webcams up in Peru and Woodford look icy, so no snow there either.

A Berkshire bust I'm afraid. Even MOunt Snow is ZR :(

It was interesting to see this event begin with just freezing raining; no typical ptype transition phases.  I had pure glaze ice in Ayer leaving the house, under foot, wire, trees, all surfaces of the car.  As I road south on 1-90 you could tell it had been glazing longer the farther south I rode.  Trees down here at the office in Shrewsbury are aglow in that silvery tint.  

One other thing, there is more wind down here at the office. It was calm in Ayer; just the light pitter pat sound of liquid drops sticking to everything. But as I walked in 31.5F air across the rain swept parking lot (ugh!) the trees around the area could be heard crackling with their nascent burden of ice.  The wind here (near the Pike) is ENE/NE puffing along around 15kts, so the flags betray an estimate. But just up 1-90, coming down the turns into Worcester the steam from the factory was drifting due S...These obs suggest there may be some sort of boundary separating the cyclonic flow from the storm approaching from the S, from the establishment of ageostrophic cold flow farther NW ... but less than certain.  

This is an interesting scenario synoptically.. The high retreats on schedule, but there is still back load boundary layer cold into CNE/Maine... 25-30F everywhere and draining.  Eventually the strengthening gradient should over come...

A Berkshire bust I'm afraid. Even MOunt Snow is ZR :(

Looking that way, unless we can pull off some type of miracle, which is unlikely.

Anyway, you can see strong orographic effects in this radar image as the heavier echoes are banked up along the ridgelines of the Taconics, northern Berkshires, and southern Greens in response to the deep layer easterly flow. The valleys are getting shadowed while the mountains are cleaning up.

post-48-0-05089600-1418138176_thumb.png

You would think a main road like that wouldn't be allowed to get that iced up.

Last month I ran into the same thing in PA on I-80.  I was shocked to see that they hadn't pre-treated or sent trucks out with temps in the 20s and freezing drizzle coming.  I saw several accidents like that...people driving too fast as you previously mentioned but then the bridges turned to sheets and it was dangerous going at any speed.

Looking that way, unless we can pull off some type of miracle, which is unlikely.

Anyway, you can see strong orographic effects in this

radar image as the heavier echoes are banked up along the ridgelines of the Taconics, northern Berkshires, and southern Greens in response to the deep layer easterly flow. The valleys are getting shadowed while the mountains are cleaning up.

that stinks man I thought for sure the Berks would clean up with a front end thump.

I'm in Hartford now, but my phone is saying there's still a lot of 31 and 32 degree obs coming up from the Mass Connecticut border near Springfield any live reports from that area is there some more significant icing starting to occurvon the trees or is it too warm and the precipitation too heavy?

I just drove from Stafford Springs to Springfield and you could see the ice on the roadways to a certain extent but nothing major.  I didn't see anything appreciative on vegetation either.  The precip rate is too heavy for optimum accretion.

It was interesting coming down the mountain - the temp didn't go below 32 until I got to he valley floor.  It was above at about 450' but below at 200' so it's a shallow layer (at least where I was).

I'll tell you though..maybe it's because I have a family and need to think about them first...but for the love of God..people slow down. The roads were getting that icy snow covered look and people were just blowing by me last night. I moved to the right lane and went under 60 the whole way home..at times 40-45. It's just not worth getting into trouble. No wonder why there were so many accidents. It's sad that people are so fooking dumb when driving in winter. 

lol. Did you forget what state you live in?  The absolute worst driving state that I've been in.

Archived